Photo

Windows 8 tom-f***ery

windows 8crash

Best Answer Iryoku , 04 September 2013 - 12:33 AM

Ok here are the facts as I know them: Windower4 is not crashing, so no crash dump file.Also I'm using a fresh install of windows 7 and a fresh install of FFXI, and a fresh install of windower.  Both laptops and now my pc will run windower 4 but after you start it up you have to wait for it to time out while attempting to "update rescources: downloading component" it stops at 143.8/190.6 and stays there for aprox. 5 minutes and then gives up and starts up windower. It does this on all PCs in my home, with or without firewall up. I have given windower full permissions to move through the firewall to no avail. It will not load any plugins or add ons, same time out after a certain amount of time waiting for it to load and then just skipping to POL log in. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can an admin or someone familiar with the original thread about this problem either respond, or direct me to that original thread as I can't seem to find it/ ; ;  

It could easily be your anti-virus software as well, or a problem with your home network or internet connection. Windower is doing exactly what is was programmed to do; that is, attempt to download updates to all of its components and time out after the default 5 minutes. Though admittedly the timeout is far too long, it's just the default timeout for an HTTP request in .Net. I will see about lowering it to something more reasonable. 30 seconds is probably more appropriate.

Edit: The change has been pushed out for 4.1 on the development build. If no problems are reported, I'll apply it to 4.0 tomorrow.

Go to the full post

25 replies to this topic

#21 frozenbear

frozenbear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:24 PM

First of all, thank you so much for windower! especially windower 4. I fell I n love with it immedietly. which is why I miss it so badly :( I know at some point there was a thread up related to time out problems when starting up windower4. My windower4 worked fine (on windows 8) until the june update and then it would time out every time I started it up, meaning no add ons or plug ins for me anymore. As I said, at one point I saw a thread with this very problem posted but can no longer find it. So 1: does that thread still exist and more importantly 2: Am I to understand that this is a windows 8 related problem? Thank you in advance for any time you spend on this problem at all.

#22 Mysticales

Mysticales

Battle Mystic

• Moderators
    • 111 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:19 PM

Thanks for the update on graphics options. Didnt know they finally got fixed in, cause was waiting for that since I had loaded up windower 4 heh.

As for Windows 8, working fine on my end. Did you try to check files on FFXI to make sure none of it was corrupt? (Note by doing this option you will have to reapply any dat edits you put into your folder, status icons etc)

sig.jpg
      Mysticales~Mystaria~Windower Supporter since 2005
      ~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~

#23 frozenbear

frozenbear

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

Thanks for the update on graphics options. Didnt know they finally got fixed in, cause was waiting for that since I had loaded up windower 4 heh.

As for Windows 8, working fine on my end. Did you try to check files on FFXI to make sure none of it was corrupt? (Note by doing this option you will have to reapply any dat edits you put into your folder, status icons etc)

Ok here are the facts as I know them: Windower4 is not crashing, so no crash dump file.Also I'm using a fresh install of windows 7 and a fresh install of FFXI, and a fresh install of windower.  Both laptops and now my pc will run windower 4 but after you start it up you have to wait for it to time out while attempting to "update rescources: downloading component" it stops at 143.8/190.6 and stays there for aprox. 5 minutes and then gives up and starts up windower. It does this on all PCs in my home, with or without firewall up. I have given windower full permissions to move through the firewall to no avail. It will not load any plugins or add ons, same time out after a certain amount of time waiting for it to load and then just skipping to POL log in. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can an admin or someone familiar with the original thread about this problem either respond, or direct me to that original thread as I can't seem to find it/ ; ;  

#24 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
        • 488 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:33 AM   Best Answer

It could easily be your anti-virus software as well, or a problem with your home network or internet connection. Windower is doing exactly what is was programmed to do; that is, attempt to download updates to all of its components and time out after the default 5 minutes. Though admittedly the timeout is far too long, it's just the default timeout for an HTTP request in .Net. I will see about lowering it to something more reasonable. 30 seconds is probably more appropriate.

Edit: The change has been pushed out for 4.1 on the development build. If no problems are reported, I'll apply it to 4.0 tomorrow.

Edited by Iryoku, 04 September 2013 - 01:00 AM.

#25 Mrdargonus

Mrdargonus

• Members
          • Pip
          • 1 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

just giving a heads up on Windower 4 not working on windows 8, i was having this problem and found that if u look at all the .exe files in POL and FFXI they need to have the compatability mode turned off and then rite clicking and run as admin and it should work fine. didnt know if this had been posted didnt see it here so thought i would post.
            • Mrdargonus likes this

#26 helsing

helsing

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 10 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

Ya having the same issue. Was kinda weird tho was workign for me today just fine. Then when router died

II tried booting the game get to the char select screen and windows say's a program cause game to crash.
              hasn't been working sense.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 8, crash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users