Photo

White screen at windower launch

crashwindows 8.1

Best Answer Iryoku , 16 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

I assume you mean the profile selector? This is probably another manifestation of Issue #176. You can usually fix this by disabling hardware acceleration for WPF. It requires modifying a registry setting as described in this MSDN article, but I'll give you step-by-step instructions, since MSDN's description is somewhat bereft of details.

• Right click Start and choose Run
  • In the dialog box that opens, type "regedit" (without the quotes) and press enter.
    You'll probably need to accept a UAC prompt at this point.
  • Before making any changes to the registry you should make a backup.
    You can do this by right clicking the "Computer" node at the top and selecting Export.
  • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft using the folder tree on the left.
  • Right Click on the Microsoft key (the folders are called "keys"), and select New ⇒ Key.
  • Rename the new key Avalon.Graphics.
  • Right click the new Avalon.Graphics key, and select New ⇒ DWORD (32-bit) Value.
  • Rename the new value (it will be on the right side of the window) DisableHWAcceleration.
  • Right click the new DisableHWAcceleration value and select Modify...
  • Enter "1" (without the quotes) in the Value data field.
  • Click OK.
Go to the full post

11 replies to this topic

#1 linny

linny

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:23 PM

Hello.

I looked for a solution to my windower problem (it blocks on login-screen after windower4 green splash screen), but I didn't find any solution (github, forum).

I'm on a new windows 8.1 pc portable. 

I can run FFXI with windower 3.4, but only with a few plugin (recast & distance). 

I wonder if I can launch windower without using login screen (directly like windower 3.4) or if it's a way that I can debug it my self (I'm a .net developer).

It's hard for a pup without autocontrol & gearswap ...

Thanks

#2 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 488 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 04:12 PM   Best Answer

I assume you mean the profile selector? This is probably another manifestation of Issue #176. You can usually fix this by disabling hardware acceleration for WPF. It requires modifying a registry setting as described in this MSDN article, but I'll give you step-by-step instructions, since MSDN's description is somewhat bereft of details.

• In the dialog box that opens, type "regedit" (without the quotes) and press enter.
          You can do this by right clicking the "Computer" node at the top and selecting Export.
        • Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft using the folder tree on the left.
        • Right Click on the Microsoft key (the folders are called "keys"), and select New ⇒ Key.
        • Right click the new Avalon.Graphics key, and select New ⇒ DWORD (32-bit) Value.
        • Rename the new value (it will be on the right side of the window) DisableHWAcceleration.
        • Click OK.

• ladygrrimm likes this

#3 linny

linny

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:36 PM

Thank you so much. It works.

#4 GreyDragon

GreyDragon

• Members
          • Pip
          • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

any ideas?...Warranty repair work on PC - New Motherboard and Video Card replacement (Radeon HD 7950) reinstall OS, prior to the replacement the game worked fine with/without windower. (actually PC has been sent back 6x for warranty work and I've never had any issues reinstalling game or windower... This time on reinstall of game I had a "Failed to initiate DIrect 3D"...after some time and fresh game install and a complete system recovery to windows 8.1 with all updates...same DIrect 3D error...turned the UAC all the way down...same error...changed the screen size in FFXI Config setting to 1240/720...TADA...game launches fine...in all the dozens of times I've had to reinstall everything on this machine this is the first time i've had to adjust screen size to make the game work....on to windower....I tried all of the forum "Fixes" and yet windower still crashes just as the game starts up with error "PlayOnline Viewer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. No Plugins or Addon's selected (does not seem to have any dump files). I've tried installing windower on the desktop & in the programs (x86) folder. did the "RegEdit fix" (Avalon)...no change, tried compatibility, screen size setting turned off the firewall...NO other programs are loaded on the machine...tried installing the vcredist 86 & 64...im at a loss...any other suggestions?

• Tubal likes this

#5 Tubal

Tubal

• Members
            • Pip
            • 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 04:23 PM

any ideas?...Warranty repair work on PC - New Motherboard and Video Card replacement (Radeon HD 7950) reinstall OS, prior to the replacement the game worked fine with/without windower. (actually PC has been sent back 6x for warranty work and I've never had any issues reinstalling game or windower... This time on reinstall of game I had a "Failed to initiate DIrect 3D"...after some time and fresh game install and a complete system recovery to windows 8.1 with all updates...same DIrect 3D error...turned the UAC all the way down...same error...changed the screen size in FFXI Config setting to 1240/720...TADA...game launches fine...in all the dozens of times I've had to reinstall everything on this machine this is the first time i've had to adjust screen size to make the game work....on to windower....I tried all of the forum "Fixes" and yet windower still crashes just as the game starts up with error "PlayOnline Viewer has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. No Plugins or Addon's selected (does not seem to have any dump files). I've tried installing windower on the desktop & in the programs (x86) folder. did the "RegEdit fix" (Avalon)...no change, tried compatibility, screen size setting turned off the firewall...NO other programs are loaded on the machine...tried installing the vcredist 86 & 64...im at a loss...any other suggestions?

Did you  manage to resolve this issue if so how?  I have been through the same gyrations with no success at fixing windower. 

#6 oprahwinfrey

oprahwinfrey

• Members
              • Pip
              • 3 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 08:32 PM

Hi,i had this problem and followed your steps and that problem was fixed.I think in the process though i deleted something from the registry because there is no windower file on my computer,windower runs its just i cant find the file containg all the components,and when i start the game it lists a bunch of things in red that say "file does not exist".The game pIays fine otherwise.I did save the registy as you said to but do i just relode it,and if so does that create2 registries?As you can tell im not a rocket surgeon as far as computers go ;(

#7 oprahwinfrey

oprahwinfrey

• Members
                • Pip
                • 3 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

• Click OK.

Hi,i had this problem and followed your steps and that problem was fixed.I think in the process though i deleted something from the registry because there is no windower file on my computer,windower runs its just i cant find the file containg all the components,and when i start the game it lists a bunch of things in red that say "file does not exist".The game pIays fine otherwise.I did save the registy as you said to but do i just relode it,and if so does that create2 registries?As you can tell im not a rocket surgeon as far as computers go ;(

#8 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                  • 488 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:14 PM

It doesn't sound like you did anything to mess up the registry. Windower is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\ by default. If you tell us which files it says don't exist we can try to help you fix the problem.

#9 cbussteelers

cbussteelers

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 1 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hello,

I have followed this step by step but I am still getting the white screen. The crazy thing is that the windower in the task bar i can see the log in information but the white screen remains. If you have any other ideas i would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks

#10 oprahwinfrey

oprahwinfrey

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 04:20 AM

It doesn't sound like you did anything to mess up the registry. Windower is installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\ by default. If you tell us which files it says don't exist we can try to help you fix the problem.

I had a friend walk me through it,i had to right click on the shortcut >>>open file location>>>>right click on the windower icon from that location>>>>>open file location and there were the files and the folder.Thank you for responding :).

#11 Brigett

Brigett

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:03 PM

I tried this and still no luck, any other suggestions

#12 Joshypoo

Joshypoo

• Members
                          • Pip
                          • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:31 PM

I have tried this soooo many times and its not working! so annoying!! HELP!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crash, windows 8.1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users