helprequestpleasenovicenewbietextobjects

3 replies to this topic

#1 allibear17

allibear17

• Members
    • Pip
    • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:05 AM

Hi everyone.  Long time windower fan, new to lua and coding in general.  Most of my coding experience is in actionscript and some minor C++ classes.

I'm attempting to write my own addon that will display the Party's HP% on screen, because I can't stand having to look in the corner constantly as a healer.  I'm having a little trouble getting it to work.  I've been reading through the texts.lua alongside the developer wiki and looking at other code, such as enemybar and tparty.  I was hoping someone might find a little time to help me understand a few portions.

p1hpp = texts.new(' HP: ${hpp|(100)}%', my_settings)

This should create a text object, with the settings I've defined (I copied the default from texts.lua and made changes to them as needed) which will display "HP: 100%" as a default, or replace 100, with whatever value is in p1hpp.hpp correct?

When I take the party info, and set party.p1.hpp to p1hpp.hpp, do I need to type cast it as a str? 

Do I need to define .hpp inside settings?

Thanks in advance if you make the time to reply! 

#2 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 324 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:41 AM

Hi everyone.  Long time windower fan, new to lua and coding in general.  Most of my coding experience is in actionscript and some minor C++ classes.

I'm attempting to write my own addon that will display the Party's HP% on screen, because I can't stand having to look in the corner constantly as a healer.  I'm having a little trouble getting it to work.  I've been reading through the texts.lua alongside the developer wiki and looking at other code, such as enemybar and tparty.  I was hoping someone might find a little time to help me understand a few portions.

p1hpp = texts.new(' HP: ${hpp|(100)}%', my_settings)

This should create a text object, with the settings I've defined (I copied the default from texts.lua and made changes to them as needed) which will display "HP: 100%" as a default, or replace 100, with whatever value is in p1hpp.hpp correct?

When I take the party info, and set party.p1.hpp to p1hpp.hpp, do I need to type cast it as a str? 

Do I need to define .hpp inside settings?

Thanks in advance if you make the time to reply! 

i probably have forgotten more about texts then any other

this is my display for my gearswap it might help you out

https://github.com/s...ore/Display.lua

https://github.com/s...Display_sub.lua

#3 allibear17

allibear17

• Members
        • Pip
        • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

This is helpful, since you create/handle them a little differently.  I was able to create a text object on screen, and manipulate it.  Thanks!

I should have a completed addon for testing soon.

#4 allibear17

allibear17

• Members
          • Pip
          • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:59 AM

I have a rough version working right now, including the settings.xml (I hope)

https://github.com/a...ar17/PartyP.git

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, request, please, novice, newbie, text, objects

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users