Windower and the Steam controller/Steam Overlay

6 replies to this topic

#1 wildsprite

wildsprite

• Members
    • Pip
    • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

I'm curious if any devs might look into this to see if I'm right, when I run windower through steam it shows the overlay on the windower launcher then in PoL viewer but when it switches over to FFXI steam nolonger sees windower as active and closes, my theory is that somehow windower would need to trick steam into thinking it is still open when FFXI launches. not sure how to do this exactly.

I'm hoping this can be done as I want to be able to use my steam controller and the steam overlay(I can live without this but would rather not) with windower running.

thanks

#2 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 324 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:32 AM

I'm curious if any devs might look into this to see if I'm right, when I run windower through steam it shows the overlay on the windower launcher then in PoL viewer but when it switches over to FFXI steam nolonger sees windower as active and closes, my theory is that somehow windower would need to trick steam into thinking it is still open when FFXI launches. not sure how to do this exactly.

I'm hoping this can be done as I want to be able to use my steam controller and the steam overlay(I can live without this but would rather not) with windower running.

thanks

windower is not meant to be run that way

and ffxi on steam is the same as the full version installed separately just in a different directory

#3 wildsprite

wildsprite

• Members
        • Pip
        • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:49 AM

I think you are missing the point, if steam does not see the game running it defaults the controller. and if I try to use windower it sees the game till PoL launches FFXI then it does not see it anymore. if somehow windower were to keep itself as being seen as the game the whole time so steam sees it as still open this would not happen. the plain vanilla game runs just fine with the full steam overlay and everything. when I try to use windower the overlay actually injects itself into the windower launcher and into PoL viewer. then steam sees the game as closing itself.

I should also note that when the controller defaults even if I attempt to use "game controller" as the configuration FFXI ignores it completely

to clerify I am not running the steam version of the game, I am running windower as a non-steam game

#4 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 324 posts

Posted 12 May 2016 - 11:59 PM

I think you are missing the point, if steam does not see the game running it defaults the controller. and if I try to use windower it sees the game till PoL launches FFXI then it does not see it anymore. if somehow windower were to keep itself as being seen as the game the whole time so steam sees it as still open this would not happen. the plain vanilla game runs just fine with the full steam overlay and everything. when I try to use windower the overlay actually injects itself into the windower launcher and into PoL viewer. then steam sees the game as closing itself.

I should also note that when the controller defaults even if I attempt to use "game controller" as the configuration FFXI ignores it completely

to clerify I am not running the steam version of the game, I am running windower as a non-steam game

i think thats a steam bug then(it probably monitors the apps title and wiindower changes this)

but you could try to enable xinput in ffxi config

#5 wildsprite

wildsprite

• Members
            • Pip
            • 8 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:30 AM

i think thats a steam bug then(it probably monitors the apps title and wiindower changes this)

but you could try to enable xinput in ffxi config

already have xinput enabled. the game and steam ignore eachother. I really wish steam would just monitor process numbers rather than the names

#6 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 488 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 06:22 PM

I'm actually surprised you're not crashing. The Steam overlay normally doesn't even work with POL, because POL is manifested to run as administrator, and Steam doesn't like this. It's possible to get the overlay to work with vanilla FFXI by fiddling with OS compatibility settings, but Steam and Windower both try to hook the same functions, and neither one makes any attempt to work around the other's hook. In my tests this caused FFXI to crash on the first call to Direct3DDevice::Present. It's pretty much impossible for us to fix this hook conflict in Windower 4 because we don't have the source for the hooking library we use.

#7 wildsprite

wildsprite

• Members
                • Pip
                • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:43 AM

I run steam as administrator, with most games it's a non issue. it's a shame you have no way to fix this that makes me sad

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users