Question: Windower and SweetFX

5 replies to this topic

#1 Sora-Chan

Sora-Chan

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:09 PM

I can't decide if this is supposed to be in Third Party or not, though I figured here is better than there, as there appears more for release threads than questions.

Has anyone tried SweetFX with FFXI and Windower? I want to see what it does to the game's appearance, but I'm paranoid about using it, since it uses a .dll injection into the base game. I'm a bit worried about it being something that gets detected and banned for, especially after all the years i've been subscribed to the game..

I've tried googling for it, but all I'm getting from the searches are XIV related. I figured the best place to ask about it would be the Windower community, since if anyone has any sort of experiance with it, it would be found here.

Edit: basically, what I want to know are three things.

1. Does it work with FFXI

2. Does it work with Windower running

3. Is it even safe to use without threat of it being falsely flagged?

#2 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 488 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:06 AM

I'm unfamiliar with SweetFX, but after a little bit of research is looks like it doesn't support DirectX 8, so (1) no it probably isn't going to work with FFXI. (2) Even if it does, it is unlikely to work with Windower loaded. It's not that it's impossible to make an injector work with Windower, but most injectors seem to assume that they are the only thing hooking DirectX, and utterly fail if Windower gets there first. However, (3) if you can get it to work, you're not really in any danger of getting caught; SE doesn't seem to make any attempt to detect injected DLLs, or function hooks.

#3 Sora-Chan

Sora-Chan

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Decided to bite the bullet and try it. You were right, it doesn't work, unfortunately. It also crashes with windower running at the "Accept" screen when you log in.

There was a method to getting SweetFX to work with DX8 games, but the method didn't work in FFXI's case.

Maybe someone at somepoint will figure out a work around, but if not, it's not really that big of a deal. Just would of been fun tidbit if it did work.

#4 kurgan78

kurgan78

• Members
          • Pip
          • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

Sorry for the necro bump.

I spotted this post on the ReShade (creators of SweetFX) forum. Someone apparently got a DirectX wrapper/injector working with the game and posted a sweet screen capture.

http://reshade.me/fo...g-on-load#14438

I wasn't able to get his solution to work for me. The game just crashes when transitioning from POL to FFXI. I am curious if anyone else tries this and gets it to work.

I'm less interested in the really cool shaders and effects and more interested in the potential for this allowing Optimus-equipped laptops to properly switch to nVidia graphics and not use the integrated Intel GPU.

#5 kurgan78

kurgan78

• Members
            • Pip
            • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:24 PM

I got in touch with the guy who got it working that also posted the screenshots.

He figured out what was causing the crash. If you have fonts set to high quality in FFXI config, it just won't work. Set fonts to either compressed or uncompressed, and then this wrapper/injector works and you get full shader controls!

Also, this did indeed get the game working on the nVidia GPU on my Optimus laptop! GPU-Z confirms the processing load on the nVidia now and not the Intel on my laptop. You have to be sure to leave the "Adapter(s) to use/enable" in dgVoodoo2 to "All of them".

#6 sajittarius

sajittarius

• Members
              • Pip
              • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:40 AM

i signed up when i saw this thread, I helped him get it working.  If anyone else wants help I generally respond best to my reddit username /u/sajittarius  (i check reddit at work lol)

Here's a couple more screenshots of what ReShade+dgvoodoo2 can make FFXI look like:

Off:  http://puu.sh/oR3lj/019d5b72ef.jpg (fullsize link)

d40cee1c6a.jpg

On:  http://puu.sh/oR3kT/...5806927c4d.jpg� (fullsize link)

f99034fafc.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users