FPS plugin?

33 replies to this topic

#21 snubber

snubber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 02:36 PM

Nope, this is a limitation of the game engine. If your PC cannot render the game consistently at 58.8 Hz then you should not use this plugin.

For the purposes of playing animations, the engine assumes the frame rate is exactly one of 58.8 Hz, 29.4 Hz, 19.6 Hz, 14.7 Hz, etc. and advances the animation in exact multiples of 17 ms per frame, regardless of the actual time required to render the previous frame. This means that animations will slowly decrease to half speed as the frame rate drops from 58.8 to 29.4 Hz, then jump back up to full speed. After this things become less noticeable; between 29.4 and 19.6 Hz the speed will only drop to two thirds. The next range will only drop to three fourths and so on. As the frame rate drops the amount of slow-down decreases and the gaps between target rates get smaller, which helps to hide this artifact.

Sorry what then, is the requirement of ur PC to run it? Im using i7-4700MQ with Nvidia 780M. I am still experiencing slow and lags.

#22 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 488 posts

Posted 07 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

Sorry what then, is the requirement of ur PC to run it? Im using i7-4700MQ with Nvidia 780M. I am still experiencing slow and lags.

The "requirement" (that word is a bit too strong, it's more of a recommendation) is that it can run the game consistently within a few percent of 58.8 FPS. I can't be more specific than that. Even two PCs with identical hardware can have very different performance characteristics.

#23 Balrahn

Balrahn

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:25 PM

I'm having a really weird issue with this thing..

When I set this to unlimited, my fps shoots up to 400 something and my character breathes like a madman.
        When I walk the legs run like the flash, but speed isn't increasing. Looks really weird.

Any ideas?

#24 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
        • 1189 posts
        • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:32 AM

Working as intended.

#25 MrxDemix

MrxDemix

• Members
        • Pip
        • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:50 PM

I just installed Unlimited and it works flawlessly. What a big difference 30FPS makes. Thank you!

#26 Serkit

Serkit

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 01:23 AM

You say "if your computer cant render this game at 58 steady. dont use" I can run FFXIV on top settings and never see a bit of lag, but this causes my shit to spike like crazy. Explain?

#27 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 1189 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

Did you set the FrameRateDivisor to 1 or 0?

#28 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 488 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

You say "if your computer cant render this game at 58 steady. dont use" I can run FFXIV on top settings and never see a bit of lag, but this causes my shit to spike like crazy. Explain?

FFXIV and FFXI are two completely different games with entirely different performance characteristics; performance in one is not a predictor of performance in the other.

I've already explained how the engine works. If it takes longer than 17ms but less than 34ms then engine will still pretend like the frame took 17ms for the purposes of timing animations. So, it takes, say 20 ms to render each frame (which is still 50 frames per second) the engine will end up playing animations (17 / 20) * 100 = 15% slower. The moment a frame takes more than 34ms to render the game starts running two animation ticks per frame, so animations start playing at full speed again. Increasing further animations will slow down until each frame takes 51ms to render, then the game runs three animation ticks per frame, and so on. It is purely cosmetic, so you can safely ignore it if you want. All of this is completely independent of what this plugin controls, and changing it is really not something we can do, at least not easily.

There's also a frame rate limiter built into the engine, and this is what the plugin changes. This limiter is controlled by a multiplier byte in memory, we'll call it F. If a frame takes less than F * 17ms to complete rendering then the game waits until F * 17ms have passed before starting work on the next frame. By default F is set to 2 (meaning a hard limit of 34ms minimum frame time, or ~29.4 fps). All this plugin does is let you change F.

#29 NotWaL3000

NotWaL3000

• Members
              • Pip
              • 3 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

I can't get this to work. Can someone please help me?

#30 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

I can.

#31 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Well, probably.

#32 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 324 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:35 PM

FFXIV and FFXI are two completely different games with entirely different performance characteristics; performance in one is not a predictor of performance in the other.

just because i feel like saying it
                  FFXI was compiled and coded for a single core processor while FFXIV was compiled and coded for multi core processors

some people might think this has no barring on ffxi but it does
                  the fastest single core processor ever released to the public ran at 4 GHz(if we were still using this we would probably have 12 GHz processors by now)
                  while modern multi core processors run at 3.8 GHz

now there is a performance increase with the multi core processors as long as the the program in question is coded for multi core how ever if its not you will receive a performance hit and this is what ffxi is getting while ffxiv is running vary fast on your modern pc only because it coded for multi core processors

and that does not even begin to take into consideration of the differences between the x86 and x64 architectures

ffxi was coded for x86 not x64 like ffxiv and this also causes a performance hit to ffxi

im saying this for the sake of those that want to know

with ffxi its not the video card that the bottleneck its the processor and memory(on modern computers)

#33 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                  • 488 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:40 AM

Minor correction: FFXIV is 32-bit as well, so the x86/x64 performance discussion is irrelevant in this case. (By the way, it's not nearly as simple as 64-bit = faster like some people would have you believe.)

#34 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
                    • PipPipPip
                    • 324 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:37 AM

Minor correction: FFXIV is 32-bit as well, so the x86/x64 performance discussion is irrelevant in this case. (By the way, it's not nearly as simple as 64-bit = faster like some people would have you believe.)

i never said x64 was faster but if you code for it it then it can be and i bet that ffxiv has optimizations that ffxi does not

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users