Photo

Remapping of keys with windower open

Best Answer Iryoku , 20 October 2015 - 10:38 PM

This is a little bit complicated, chat input uses standard Windows messages for keyboard input, so the chat input will honor your key mappings. Movement, macros keys, shortcuts and Windower binds use DirectInput, which doesn't honor the Windows keyboard layout settings or custom mappings. Dvorak D is the same key (and has the same scan code and thus same DirectInput Key code) as Qwerty H, and thus Ctrl/Alt+D will do whatever the Qwerty Ctrl/Alt+H would do. Dvorak H is the same key as Qwerty J, Q is the same key as X, Y is T and O is S. All of this is what I would expect to happen. I would expect this behavior regardless of whether Windower was used or not.

If you want your keys to map correctly you will need to remap your keys using the in-game settings. This key mapping window is going to lie to you about which key you're pressing, since FFXI assumes your keyboard layout is a standard English Qwerty keyboard when it maps DIK codes to key names.

Interestingly similar behavior used to happen if you played using the French or German clients on an English or Japanese PC. For instance on the French keyboard Q is the same key as the A key on a Qwerty keyboard. So in the key mapping window in-game if you typed an A on your Qwerty English keyboard, the game would display a Q. Chat still worked correctly, but key mappings were strange.

Go to the full post

2 replies to this topic

#1 Kiyosa

Kiyosa

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

When I open FFXI with Windower, my [ctrl] or [alt] + [letter] key mapping is totally off.  For instance:

Ctrl or Alt + D starts /heal (like H would)

Ctrl or Alt + H opens the job abilities menu (like J would)

Ctrl or Alt + Q opens the /linkshell2 chat

Ctrl or Alt + Y opens the /tell chat

Ctrl or Alt + O opens the /say chat

If I unload all plugins/addons this still happens, and even if I load up without any plugins/addons this still happens.  

This is perhaps related to my unusual keyboard set-up.  I have my input set to Dvorak, not Qwerty, in Windows 7 and has a hotkey to switch if ctrl + L shift is pressed.  I also run AutoHotKey at startup with a script loaded which remaps the keyboard to the qwerty layout when ctrl or alt is held down- this is to preserve standard shortcuts like ctrl + c and ctrl + v while still being able to type in the dvorak layout.  The dvorak layout still works from in the game- once any menu where I can type is open (chat windows or the windower console) I am in Dvorak layout.

Any one have any thoughts about what is causing this weird behavior?  I realize I should probably completely unload the AutoHotKey script and see if that helps...

#2 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 488 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:38 PM   Best Answer

This is a little bit complicated, chat input uses standard Windows messages for keyboard input, so the chat input will honor your key mappings. Movement, macros keys, shortcuts and Windower binds use DirectInput, which doesn't honor the Windows keyboard layout settings or custom mappings. Dvorak D is the same key (and has the same scan code and thus same DirectInput Key code) as Qwerty H, and thus Ctrl/Alt+D will do whatever the Qwerty Ctrl/Alt+H would do. Dvorak H is the same key as Qwerty J, Q is the same key as X, Y is T and O is S. All of this is what I would expect to happen. I would expect this behavior regardless of whether Windower was used or not.

If you want your keys to map correctly you will need to remap your keys using the in-game settings. This key mapping window is going to lie to you about which key you're pressing, since FFXI assumes your keyboard layout is a standard English Qwerty keyboard when it maps DIK codes to key names.

Interestingly similar behavior used to happen if you played using the French or German clients on an English or Japanese PC. For instance on the French keyboard Q is the same key as the A key on a Qwerty keyboard. So in the key mapping window in-game if you typed an A on your Qwerty English keyboard, the game would display a Q. Chat still worked correctly, but key mappings were strange.

#3 Kiyosa

Kiyosa

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 02:29 AM

Thanks very much for the prompt and detailed answer, I figured it'd be some unholy alchemy of the Dvorak and that something somewhere was using DirectInput.  I hadn't quite followed it around to work out 'when I hit Alt+D on the keyboard it gives me result of the qwerty letter that is under where the Dvorak D is, which is H.'

I'm glad I can I'll use the ingame remapping, which will be a simple and robust answer to the issue.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users