Some packet help.....

12 replies to this topic

#1 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
    • Pip
    • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:16 AM

Please forgive me but I'm new to lua coding, I have a question similar to Saydn http://forums.window...packets/?p=2504 ,except I dont want to cancel the packets but instead I would like the addon to output the parsed data to a text file, is that possible?

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 1189 posts
      • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

You can use the PacketViewer addon for that. Load it and type the following to log packet contents to a file:

//pv log file 0x01E 0x01F 0x020 0x050

This will log every occurrence of any of those packets to a file. Instead of file you can also log to console or to chatlog. You can also shorten it to //pv l f [list of packet IDs]. If you want to log all but a certain set of packets, you can do //pv log file not [list of IDs].

You can also make the packet appear on screen in a text box and record previous packets then scroll through them:

//pv track incoming 0x017; pv rec

Then send yourself a few tells, you'll see a box appear with the packet dissected. To view previously tracked packets do //pv display n, where n is the index of the packet to display. If you tracked incoming 0x017 (the packet containing chat-info) and had 5 such packets come in, you can do //pv display 4 to show the fourth such packet. You can also hover over the display box and use the mouse wheel to scroll through all the previous packets.

#3 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
      • Pip
      • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:57 PM

That's exactly what I'm after, thank you. For some reason it wont log the packet's to a file, I've tried //pv log file 0x01E as an example but no log file is generated. Everything else though is spot on!

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
        • 1189 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:13 PM

I had another report of logging to file not working if you're also tracking that packet (with //pv track). Is that the error you're observing? Or does file logging generally never work?

#5 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 324 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:24 PM

every time i try to use the logger it eather crashes packetviewer or does nothing

#6 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
          • Pip
          • 8 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:48 PM

Hi Arcon, yes the logging doesn't function for me. I do //pv log file 0x034, make a trade an there are no logs made, I see inside the lua file itself where it's supposed to log the data to but it just never creates the log file/chat directories. This is irrespective of trying an onscreen track as that seems to be working fine. Hope that helps.

#7 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 1189 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

Sorry, I just noticed that I told you something incorrect. Can you try again using this:

//pv log file incoming 0x034

I forgot the "incoming" above. Can you see if it works with that, please?

#8 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
            • Pip
            • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:07 PM

It look like it goes to write the log file: "PacketViewer Notice: New File: data/logs/full.log" But then I get a Lua error (runtime) error in the console which says: /Windower4//addons/libs/files.lua:29: attempt to index local 'fh' (a nil value) When I go to the data folder it's empty apart from the settings file. When I try this for outgoing aswell, I get nothing at all, no error, no file logged etc.

#9 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 1189 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 06:05 PM

Are you sure that the outgoing packet was really sent?

And thanks for that, I confirmed that it's an error with our file handling (or rather, directory creation for new files). I'll fix that at some point during the weekend, but I will be gone for a while, so I cannot say when exactly.

#10 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
              • Pip
              • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:00 PM

Hi Arcon,

The outgoing packet was definitely sent as I made a trade to an NPC. No rush for a fix, just when you have time.

#11 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 02:13 AM

For the record, I pushed a fix for that to the dev version of Windower. I'll push it live shortly.

#12 fingleburt

fingleburt

• Members
                • Pip
                • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 03:01 AM

Thanks for pushing a fix Arcon, it works really well now for incoming packets, creates the files and folder's it should do. Unfortunately there's still a problem with outgoing packets, //pv log file outgoing 0x034, make a trade and no files are created or tracked(if doing //pv track outgoing 0x034; pv rec).

#13 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                  • 1189 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

That's because 0x034 is only for incoming NPC interactions. For outgoing you'll want to be watching 0x01A. You should log all outgoing packets to console to see which packets are sent:

//pv l c o not 0x015

This will log all outgoing packets to the console except 0x015 (because that is spammed a lot). That way you see exactly which packets are sent when you perform a certain action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users