Photo

.net updates seem to be causing Windower4 to crash

Best Answer bhartshorn2 , 27 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

I can't replicate this crash. If the Windower 4 launcher is crashing then you should have a crash.log file; please post it.

It never created a crash file, even using the utilities noted in a couple other posts. I could only ever find information in the Windows event viewer. In any case, it's working fine even after reinstalling those 2 updates I noted above so it looks like there was probably an issue with their original install.

Go to the full post

6 replies to this topic

#1 bhartshorn2

bhartshorn2

• Members
    • Pip
    • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

Hey all,

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out, but it seems .net security updates are causing Windower4 to crash as soon as it starts up. It looks like one or both of the following are the culprit:

kb2979578

kb2972107

I determined this by going through troubleshooting steps listed in other posts on the topic of the issue I was having (which I mentioned above) and none of them worked. I then started uninstalling updates, starting with the two most recent, both published 10/14, as the program and game were both working fine prior to that time. Once those were removed, I could then start Windower without any issues. Still trying to get the game itself to actually launch, but that's a story for a different day...

FYI, my system runs Win7 x64.

Hopefully this is helpful to people experiencing this crash or devs trying to figure it out/fix it.

#2 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 488 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:30 PM

I'll look into it, but at first glance I'm not sure how these updates could have anything to do with the crash. K2979578 is about ClickOnce installers, which Windower doesn't use. KB2972107 is for web applications, which Windower is not.

#3 Diggerguy

Diggerguy

• Members
        • Pip
        • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:18 PM

I would appear to have the same issue here. Trying to log on a character and launcher crashes as soon as try to get past the profile screen. The odd thing is, it was working fine this morning and I have 2 characters which i logged on then that are still in game and functioning perfectly. As far as I know nothing has changed on my system since this morning. 

Thanks in advance :-)

#4 Diggerguy

Diggerguy

• Members
          • Pip
          • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

I have resolved this issue by logging all characters off and waiting a while before retrying. Bizzarely all seems to be working again. Very odd !

#5 bhartshorn2

bhartshorn2

• Members
            • Pip
            • 3 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:46 PM

This particular error, which didn't seem to be affecting many people as I could only find a few mentions of it online, was Windower crashing pretty much as soon as it launched.

I was able to determine it was a .net error via event logs (the few posts I did find pointed me in that direction). .net repair tool did find an issue of some sort and repaired it which didn't do anything. I didn't try a reinstall. All I know is that once I removed those two updates, I was able to load Windower fine. It may not necessarily have been the updates themselves, possibly a hidden issue during their install. I'm going to redownload and install them now and see what happens.

#6 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 488 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:46 AM

I can't replicate this crash. If the Windower 4 launcher is crashing then you should have a crash.log file; please post it.

#7 bhartshorn2

bhartshorn2

• Members
                • Pip
                • 3 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:21 PM   Best Answer

It never created a crash file, even using the utilities noted in a couple other posts. I could only ever find information in the Windows event viewer. In any case, it's working fine even after reinstalling those 2 updates I noted above so it looks like there was probably an issue with their original install.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users