Windower Forcing POL Crash

8 replies to this topic

#1 drip

drip

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:10 AM

Hello, I have installed ffxi on a new machine and trying to get software up and running. I can run FFXI w/o Windower fine. I notice when I do a fresh install of Windower it updates the launcher , restarts, and then follows by crashing before it updates everything. This happens everytime I try and this has been 4-5 times now.  I can run the program again and then it updates. The program creates a crash log but for some reason I cannot attach the file nor can I paste the text? Am I missing something....?

This is me typing out the first line......

Ionic.zip.zipexception: Could not read C:\Program Files (x86)\Windower4\updates\temp\c2861813-ec7f-4b54blablabla as a zip file -----> Ionic.zip.zipexecption: Cannot read that as a zip file ----- Ionic.zip.BadReadException: Could Not read block - no data! (position 0x0000000)

If that helps or anyone could tell me how i can attached the actual file would be great, says I'm not permitted to upload this kind of file, thanks.

#2 drip

drip

• Members
      • Pip
      • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:25 AM

This is the log....

Attached Files

#3 drip

drip

• Members
        • Pip
        • 6 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:20 PM

I guess no ideas on help hey? Well this seems not to just be my problem as reading other post mine is acting the exact same way. Hangs on connecting to lobby just as ffxi launches. No plugins at all loaded, any help is appretiated.

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
          • 1189 posts
          • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

Sorry, but I thought it was something different based on your description. Where exactly does it crash? During the green Windower screen? During POL launch, and if so, where exactly? FFXI update? Or during FFXI itself (i.e. when the 3D graphics appear)?

The error log you posted is only for crashes during the Windower launch (i.e. the green/white screen). It tells us nothing about POL/FFXI errors.

#5 drip

drip

• Members
          • Pip
          • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:05 AM

Hi thanks for the reply. I will give as much info as I can.

Running windows 7, I am able to run and play ffxi without windower without a single problem. My previous post mentions that when I freshly instal windower it crashes at intitial launch. I run it again after the crash, it updates and everything seems fine. I just thought this info might be relevent.

I enable zero plugins or add ons and launch POL. I get to the PLAY button inside POL. As soon as FFXI launches and I see the red text from windower displaying its loading information I click on the User Agreement OK window. It the goes thru the steps on logging into the server. Once half way through it will stop at "Connecting To Server Lobby" and hangs there inderfinitly.Openning task manager shows my CPU is at 100% and I have to End Process to get out.  

I have tried erasing the contents of the Udate Folder and the problem persists. Any help would be appretiated as FFXI is not even worth playing without this tool. Thanks.

#6 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 1189 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

My previous post mentions that when I freshly instal windower it crashes at intitial launch.

Initial launch of what? Windower, POL or FFXI? If it's Windower, is that thing above the error log for it?

I enable zero plugins or add ons and launch POL. I get to the PLAY button inside POL. As soon as FFXI launches and I see the red text from windower displaying its loading information I click on the User Agreement OK window. It the goes thru the steps on logging into the server. Once half way through it will stop at "Connecting To Server Lobby" and hangs there inderfinitly.Openning task manager shows my CPU is at 100% and I have to End Process to get out.  

This definitely sounds like the work of an addon or plugin. Did you disable LuaCore as well? You cannot do that from the plugin tab, since it's a core plugin. After you start Windower and it finishes loading and launches POL, go to Windower/autoload/autoload.txt and delete the entire contents of the file. Then proceed to launch FFXI with the already started POL instance. That way absolutely no plugins, addons or scripts will run during FFXI load.

#7 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 488 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

It looks like the zip file the launcher got from GitHub to populate the Addon list was corrupt. If everything is working now, then this was probably a transient issue.

We may need to catch zip exceptions and abort the updater in cases like this, but that's for another day.

#8 drip

drip

• Members
              • Pip
              • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:10 PM

Hello,

When I say initial launch I am refering to not having your software on my PC at all. I download your softare from www.windower.net I run the installer. I run the program for the very first time. The program then crashes. I have repeated this process over 10 times probably now.

I have tried erasing the contents of autoload. The problem has now changed to FFXI crashing as soon as POL launches it. When the 3D graphics are going to appear. Microsoft Windows will then prompt a window saying the program has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Thanks,

#9 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:42 PM

Freezing is much harder to diagnose than crashing, because you can submit crash reports for the latter, so this is good :)

Please get a crash dump and submit it to us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users