Photo

Windower and resolution

Best Answer Nekradarken , 30 July 2014 - 05:36 AM

Try remove all duplicate entries in the registry and reinstall windower. Might worth a check on the steam folder to see if there are any residual files.

If I were you, I would just uninstall FFXI and windower, clean up the registry, then reinstall FFXI and windower. Shouldn't take more than two hours if you backup the entire ffxi folder and copy the files over after installation. 

Go to the full post

20 replies to this topic

#1 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Hello!

I have a small problem I hope someone can help me with.

I just recently installed FF11 again and haveing a problem with Windower.  Whenever I log in with windower and I set the resolution to the size I want it to (2560x1600), the game starts in 800x600 resolution. Can anyone help me with this problem?

I run Windows 8 and I can get the game to run in 2560x1600 without Windower modeing the regedit files. I've tried diffrent resolutions and with or without modeing the regedit files and stuff but I get nowhere.

I've tried to find a solution for the problem everywhere but now that it's been 2 days with no luck.

-Muteki

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts
    • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:48 PM

Did you set the resolution settings in the Windower launcher? If not, they will be overwritten every time you start Windower.

#3 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:13 AM

You mean like one of the profiles? Default profil or make my own one, then yes I have set the resolution there.

Or is there anywhere else I need to put aswell?

#4 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 324 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

You mean like one of the profiles? Default profil or make my own one, then yes I have set the resolution there.

Or is there anywhere else I need to put aswell?

if your talking about pol(where you log in not ffxi which is after where you get the updates) starting at a low rez the only thing you can do is set it by dragging the window wider and longer(you will see the diagonal double arrow when you put your mouse cursor over the bottom corner of the window)

#5 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

I mean the game, not pol. Like the actual game runs in 800x600 when I use windower 4 and the settings in the windower 4 when I run it (run as admin thingy), and I set the profile there in the launcher to 2560x1600 (it remembers it so I don´t have to change it every time i start windower). Then launch and pol pops up and I log in, start the game and it´s in 800x600. If I don´t use windower and mod the regedit files or use ffxi calculator to do it for me, it runs in 2560x1600.

Even if I don´t change the regedit and try different resolutions with windower, the game still starts in 800x600 but everything else works. Like plugins, tabbing in and out, even overlay graphic seems to work as I get pretty good grapichs.

#6 Nekradarken

Nekradarken

• Members
          • Pip
          • 6 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

Check the settings.xml file in windower4 folder or try other resolution?

#7 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

There might be something there yeah, cause I can see any "resolution" settings in the settings file. How sohuld it look like? Got a ss of it that I can use as a refrence?

#8 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 1189 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:35 PM

<profile name="test">
                  <region>EU</region>
                  <consolekey>Insert</consolekey>
                  <windowmode>Window</windowmode>
                  <width>1024</width>
                  <height>768</height>
                  <uiscale>1</uiscale>
                  <supersampling>2</supersampling>
                </profile>

This, for example, is my testing profile from the settings.xml file. Are you sure you selected Windowed mode? If not, it will ignore resolution settings and try to make it full-screen.

#9 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

I didn't have widht and hight in the settings file, but even if I put it in manualy it doesn't work. Tried borderless window, windowed and fullscreen, with and without plugins. Diffrent profiles and changing the new profiles in the settings file, still nothing.

I tried to put in manualy windowmode in the settings file just to make sure that what I put in there it actually happens and it does. Just not with resolution. Starting to get really frustrated with this >.<

#10 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:07 PM

That was an example of what a certain profile should look like, manually editing the file will likely get you nowhere unless you know exactly what to do.

You should check the registry instead. You said that registry editing works without Windower. Do the following, edit the registry before you start Windower, then start it and see if it changed. If it does and changes back to 800x600 resolution Windower writes incorrectly. Then you'd need to edit the registry after you already started Windower to make it work.

However, this can be debugged. Something is not right when editing the registry. This means that either an incorrect profile is loaded or the right profile is loaded but the values are not preserved. Let me know what the registry says to debug this further.

#11 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:27 PM

The regestry doesn't change after I have started Windower. After I have started windower and checked it still says 001 Valuedata 0x00000a00 (2560), 002 Valuedata 0x00000640. Same as when I start without windower and resolution is just fine.

I just reinstalled Windower to use the default profiler set to 2560x1600 resolution aswell, just so there is no other profil that could make it not work or something.

#12 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                  • 1189 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Hm, are you sure you don't have multiple FFXI registry entries? Maybe from different FFXI installs (EU/US/JP)? Can you tell me the path in the registry to your FFXI registry?

#13 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432node\PlayOnlineEU\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI

there is also a PlayOnline\SQUARE\FinalFantasyXI and a PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI there but they have the same value as the EU one

I had a Steam version before, but I couldn't get that one to work with Windower either so I uninstalled on steam and downloaded to install outside of steam after. Maybe that's why have 3 types or are that normal?

#14 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 12 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:20 PM

Okay, now I've figured out something. If I now change the resolution in windower to 1920x1080 the regedit in PlayOnlineEU changes it's values, but then the game just pops up in a window and filles only 1920x1080 of my screen, but the look if the game still seems like 800x600. It seems like it doens't change the ingame resolution, just the resolution of the window the game runs in if you know what I mean.

#15 Nekradarken

Nekradarken

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Find out which version of FFXI (EU or US) you are playing. Then search for FinalFantasyXI in the regedit to see if there are other similar entries under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, probably steam's version has a different file path.

Keep these two on your registry: PlayOnline\SQUARE\FinalFantasyXI and PlayOnline(version)\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI and delete all other duplicate entry (do a registry backup before you delete any entry, just in case). Then reinstall windower.   

#16 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 12 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

It is the PlayonlineEU version I'm useing as I said in the previous post. The "new" problem is that even though I change the resolution, it only changes the resolution of the box the game runs in, not the resolution of the game. Liek if I put 1920x1080 in windower, the window the game runs in fills 1920x1080 on my screen, not the entire 2560x1600. It doesn't change the in game resolution, just the window.

#17 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                          • 1189 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

There are three resolutions in the registry, first the window size, then the game resolution (also called background resolution, that's what you need to set) and finally UI resolution.

#18 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                          • PipPip
                          • 12 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:50 PM

what are the name of these? 001, 002 is for some kind of resolution and 003 and 004 is for the overlayer graphic isn't it?

#19 Muteki

Muteki

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

Just to give an exampe, here is what the game looks like if I set the resolution in windower to 1920x1080.

1920x1080.png

As you can see, it's only the window the game runs in that get higher, not the ingame resolution. If I set it to 2560x1600 it just stretches the window to 2560x1600 but the ingame resolution stays the same.

#20 Nekradarken

Nekradarken

• Members
                              • Pip
                              • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:36 AM   Best Answer

Try remove all duplicate entries in the registry and reinstall windower. Might worth a check on the steam folder to see if there are any residual files.

If I were you, I would just uninstall FFXI and windower, clean up the registry, then reinstall FFXI and windower. Shouldn't take more than two hours if you backup the entire ffxi folder and copy the files over after installation. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users