Windower 4 working on Windows 8.1

3 replies to this topic

#1 Chaosprime

Chaosprime

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:13 AM

OK so after a lot of hassle (over a year trying on and off trying to get windower to work, i finally managed to get it working. It turns out there is a file/addon/app called Direct Play. before installing this it crashed on the usual PLAY button 1000% of the time. However as i was starting FFXI up again with Windower, it asked me to install Direct Play. Upon doing this, the game with windower running all my plugins barring Spellcast which is no longer there, booted all perfect!. 

I hope this helps someone and possibly could lead to something for the devs to follow up on :)

Thanks

CP

#2 Frannael

Frannael

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I actually tried again today, after re-installing (since I also went through the Direct Play stuff before I googled and saw that you could turn it on in Windows 8.1 through enabling Legacy Features), and it worked all the way up until launching the game, then PlayOnline crashed without fail.

But maybe it could be caused by something else, considering Windower worked at all? Which is different from other cases?

#3 Chaosprime

Chaosprime

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Strange for me, it would always crash on the PLAY button. Now that i have direct play enabled, its working, even spellcast with the Konami code (nice touch there xD). I actually stopped playing for like over a year simply because i couldn't get Windower to work :/ Im on 14 now but will play XI from time to time. Just wanted to say my thanks to the windower team. Its a great effort they put in and its very much appreciated here :) Even more so that i can now play again ^^;

Have you got the .net 3 and 3.5 installed? These dont come installed with Windows 8.1 so you might wanna look into it as that could be the problem

• Frannael likes this

#4 Frannael

Frannael

• Members
          • Pip
          • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Definitely not going to say I know what those do and are needed for, but I'll install them and see. :P

EDIT: Apparently it has .net 4 installed and that means that I don't need .3 or 3.5 from what the message that popped up tells me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users