Photo

Windower plugin help w/ Windows 8

Best Answer hwnplaya , 11 December 2013 - 08:44 PM

ok so i fixed it. i uninstalled the old windower first gen i installed and (sucessfully) downloaded the current installer off the windower website this time and now it loads up normally. thanks everyone for helping out. basically, don't use old installers or old versions of windower 4!!! :)

Go to the full post

10 replies to this topic

#1 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

so i just installed ffxi and i've been trying to setup windower on my new pc which is currently running windows 8. i had problems downloading the installer off the windower website for windower 4 so i used my old installer i had on my old pc. the issue i'm having is that the installer i had was a first gen, so it was just windower, and came with no plugins or anything really. i transferred all my old plugins/addons from my old pc and still i cannot get windower to recognize any of the plugins.

basically when i run windower 4, the plugins list is empty. nothing auto updates when windower is run like it did on my old pc. i checked my firewalls, even turned off my firewall/pc security. any help on alleviating this issue would be appreciated.

- on a side note, i am able to log in and then proceed to manually load all my plugins so that works, just nothing works automatically. PLEASE HELP!!! thanks

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 1189 posts
      • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Did you enable them in the Plugin tab in the launcher? It doesn't just check what's in the folder it only updates and loads what you enabled in there.

#3 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
      • Pip
      • 6 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 06:10 AM

again i've used windower 4 before so i'm no stranger to how the plugins work. as i stated above, my plugins list/tab is empty. my issue is how do i make my launcher read the plugins that i have so that i can enable or disable them in the launcher?

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
        • 1189 posts
        • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

Can you check what files are in Windower/updates/? There should be addons, addons.json, addons.xml and manifest.xml, and none of them should be empty. The launcher checks those files to populate the lists (namely the two XML files).

#5 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
        • Pip
        • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

so i transferred all my files from my old pc that were in the updates folder. it includes the files you mention and still nothing on plugins tab. using my old pc at the moment until i can fix the issue.

#6 Mysticales

Mysticales

Battle Mystic

• Moderators
          • 111 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:48 AM

Question, what was the OLD pc running that you were using windower 4 on?

Next, did you install windower 4 to a non system folder? (In otherwords.. something that isnt Desktop, Program Files or Windows) Sometimes.. things like Windows 7 and 8 dont like that.

Are you running Windower 4 as Admin?

When I did my transfers orig, on a fresh windower 4 install to my windows 8, all I moved was plugins, addons and scripts. Rest I left alone to windower. Then I just made sure all was enabled.

I do think I remember one time my plugins being moved into a diff folder and the init.txt wasnt working or so.. but that was awhile back, so dont think there was an issue there now.

sig.jpg
            Mysticales~Mystaria~Windower Supporter since 2005
            ~Battlez-avec la Mystique?~

#7 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
            • Pip
            • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:26 AM

i use windows 7 on my old pc. the installer saved windower 4 to the program files(x86). i also only moved my plugins, scripts, addons, and updates over from my old pc.

edit - and i do run windower as an admin*

#8 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 488 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:04 PM

edit - and i do run windower as an admin*

Short answer: No.

As of version 4.0, Windower has its metadata set to correctly tell the operating system the level of access it needs. If the OS detects that you do not have sufficient privileges it will automatically prompt you for elevation, so you don't need to do anything manually any more.

#9 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
                • Pip
                • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:33 PM

i log in as the adminsitrator, i've even right clicked to run as admin and windower 4 still won't load up and update normally like it should. i'm not sure what else there is to do.

#10 hwnplaya

hwnplaya

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 6 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:44 PM   Best Answer

ok so i fixed it. i uninstalled the old windower first gen i installed and (sucessfully) downloaded the current installer off the windower website this time and now it loads up normally. thanks everyone for helping out. basically, don't use old installers or old versions of windower 4!!! :)

#11 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                    • 488 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

Ah, that would explain it... When Windower 4 launched we were on a different server and the update server was at a different url. We had the old url mirror the files for a while until everyone updated, but that server is gone now. If you used an old installer you would get a version that tries to update from a non-existent location.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users