Latent Checker

3 replies to this topic

#1 Caldrec

Caldrec

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

This morning I used Latent Checker to check the progress of my Dagger of Trials. After running it and receiving the update (234 points), I went to re-equip it and it is no longer in my inventory. No errors, nothing out of the ordinary (that I noticed). The Dagger was in my main inventory, and there are no messages in my log that suggest I "dropped" anything. Any ideas?

#2 Caldrec

Caldrec

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

Nevermind...some how it ended up in my Mog Sack...weird.

#3 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 324 posts

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:20 PM

thats because the extdata does not update if trial data is updated unless it displayed on the item in the equip menu

items that update automaticaly(this data is needed on the players side):

items with limited uses like xp rings-- you can only use the ring so many times till it is useless or needs to be recharged

time limited use items like xp rings--you have to wait a set time before you can use them again

items that no not update automaticaly(this data is only needed server side):

magian trial gear

ws trial gear

#4 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
          • 488 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:54 PM

Actually, in all cases the data is sent by the server once and is only updated when the item is equipped, used, moved, etc. For items with timers the server sends the time that the item can be used again and the client itself calculates how much time is left.

The problem with trial weapons is that the server used to send the trial counter in ext data just like any item, but SE didn't like people abusing this, and attempted to patch out our ability to see the trial counter data by making the server zero out ext data for trial weapons. What they did instead was introduce a memory corruption bug. When you move a trial weapon, they accidentally corrupt the memory of the empty inventory slot that the weapon used to occupy before being moved. That empty slot, which should be completely filled with zeros, ends up holding the trial counter for the weapon that used to be there. Thankfully, the corrupted memory is in an empty inventory slot so it doesn't actually have any visible affects while playing the game and it slipped through QA.

The latent checker takes advantage of all of this to figure out the trial counter for your weapons, but to do so it needs to move the weapon to another bag to force the memory corruption bug to happen.

Before SE made this change, you used to be able to check the trial counter by simply unequipping and reequipping your weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users