Photo

How do i use the video recorder?

Video Recording

Best Answer Arcon , 08 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

What is your FFXI window resolution? If it's 1920x1080, you can use that as xRes and yRed to record the video. FPS should be above 10 if you don't want it to be choppy. If you have a good computer, you can do 30 easily. Quality should range from 1 to 100, usually there's not a whole lot of difference between 1 and 100 in the final video, so if your PC isn't quite as strong, I'd suggest going lower.

If it doesn't work it's usually because the resolution values are invalid. For example, I play on a 1920x1080 window (borderless fullscreen), and my PC is quite good, so I can handle the extra stress. Hence I type this:

//video start 1920 1080 30 100

Then again this to stop:

//video stop
Go to the full post

14 replies to this topic

#1 AzureNight

AzureNight

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

I see on the front page about the video recording >video start xRes yRes fps quality

I'm not that bright when it comes to codes and stuff so i tried to Google and got nothing but the same thing as above.

so if someone could tell me how i fill out the info into the res, fps and quality that be a big help

Edited by Iryoku, 07 October 2013 - 09:59 PM.
      Fixed formatting

#2 AzureNight

AzureNight

• Members
      • Pip
      • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 06:07 PM

idk what i did to make my first post look like that above, i tried to edit it and nothing works. im looking for help filling in the on the res,fps and quality. i have no experience with codes. and i assume that i have to fill them out to start recording.

Edited by Iryoku, 07 October 2013 - 09:59 PM.
        Fixed formatting

#3 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
        • 488 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:00 PM

I fixed the formatting for you, I'm not sure what happened there.

• AzureNight likes this

#4 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 102 posts
          • LocationBastok (Chicago)

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:50 AM

Hi!

Thank you for adding:

• video start <xRes> <yRes> <fps> <quality> - Starts a video using specified parameters
          • video stop - Stop recording
          A few follow up questions about the parameters <xRes> <yRes> <fps> and <quality>

What are vaild entries for each of these?  I'm assuming (you know what this can mean) that <xRes> and <yRes> are numeric values from say 1 to n, where n is a whole number of any value (e.g. 1920 1080 or 640 480 or 2560 1600 or 16000 9000)

As for <fps>, again I assume it is a whole number say from 1 to n, where n is say 24, 30, 60, 100, etc, but who knows how high of a value is acceptable or even how low of one.

As for quality, there I'm stumped!  I'm thinking it could be anything from HD, SD, low, med, medium, high, high-def, 1080p, 720p, M2TS, etc.  I'm honestly sorry, I'm not sure what values quality uses from this documentation.  (I'm looking at both the main (front) page and the command list page).

I thank you for your time and help!  Windower 4 is OUTSTANIDNG and I thank the developers silently each time I use the product.  I wish there was some way we were allowed to thank them beyond words (at least last I heard there was none).

I.B. Halliwell on Ragnarok (formerly of Caitsith).

• Wictor likes this

#5 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
          • 488 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:11 AM

I believe xRes and yRes need to be positive multiples of 8 because of limitations in MPEG-4 but are otherwise unrestricted; set these lower if you can't record at full resolution. FPS is the frame rate for the capture. The game's frame rate cap is 30 unless you are using a patch to unlock it. Setting FPS higher than that wastes CPU cycles. Quality is a number from 1-100, with 100 being the best quality. Using a high quality setting will use a lot of CPU.

You will have to play with all of the values to figure out what works best on your system.

Also I should point out that we don't record audio at all, you will either have to record that separately and sync it later in your video editor or use a different capture tool. This feature is not really intended to be used for high-quality video work.

#6 AzureNight

AzureNight

• Members
            • Pip
            • 4 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

<p>i tried to put in several different combinations from what I.B. posted and nothing works, i guess it wast meant to be for me =/&nbsp;</p>

#7 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
              • 1189 posts
              • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:31 AM   Best Answer

What is your FFXI window resolution? If it's 1920x1080, you can use that as xRes and yRed to record the video. FPS should be above 10 if you don't want it to be choppy. If you have a good computer, you can do 30 easily. Quality should range from 1 to 100, usually there's not a whole lot of difference between 1 and 100 in the final video, so if your PC isn't quite as strong, I'd suggest going lower.

If it doesn't work it's usually because the resolution values are invalid. For example, I play on a 1920x1080 window (borderless fullscreen), and my PC is quite good, so I can handle the extra stress. Hence I type this:

//video start 1920 1080 30 100

Then again this to stop:

//video stop

• AzureNight and Wictor like this

#8 Byrth

Byrth

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 85 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Depending what your goal is, you should pick the appropriate x/yRes (make sure your monitor and background resolution are set properly for it for optimal results). Here are some links:
                https://support.goog...r/1722171?hl=en
                http://en.wikipedia....ideo#Video_data

fps can be as low as 20 without much difference in FFXI videos, I've seen. I regularly use 25, which is the PAL standard.

quality is a number between 1 and 100. I can't honestly tell the difference between 10 and 100. Something like 5 is probably fine for the vast majority of recordings.

I can't really give you any guidelines on video size. Depending on your constraints you can go from about 1MB/min to 10 MB/min. There is some limit on the container size, I think, and it's possible that a 2TB video is the largest you can take or something. I forget the specifics. I remember topping out around 30 minutes when I tried to record a my runs, but my settings were hardly optimized for it.

#9 AzureNight

AzureNight

• Members
                • Pip
                • 4 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

<p>Arcon reply work out for me thanks but after 3 test videos my windower crashed i just assumed its with the new update and stuff. what i was doing wrong was using the &nbsp;&lt; &gt; around the numbers. thank you all for the help!</p>

#10 Tora

Tora

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 06:06 PM

I can record videos but Windows Media Player and all editors crash when i tri to open the .AVI. The only thing that seems to be able to open it is youtube.com but I wanted to edit it before I upload to YouTube... Anyone have any suggestions?

#11 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                    • 1189 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 03:13 PM

Might be missing codecs? I'm not sure, honestly they shouldn't be crashing. You can either try installing the required codec manually, or get a codec pack (probably better if you don't really know what you're doing, can just google one, like CCCP), or install the VLC player and view it with that.

#12 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                    • 488 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:16 PM

Windower 4 encodes videos to MPEG-4 Part 2/H.263. It's very unusual to not have the necessary codec, it should come preinstalled on Windows.

#13 staleykevin84

staleykevin84

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:42 PM

Yea I tried exactly what the instructions say, then stop the video and then there are no files in my video folder under windower 4. Beats me. Guess it just was not for me lol.

#14 sandman1221

sandman1221

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:01 AM

Hi was just wondering to use the video recorder in the chat log I type
                          //video start
                          //video stop

Is this right?

And where dose it save the video to?

#15 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                          • 1189 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

You need to provide the resolution (although one can argue it could be inferred by default). See the posts above on how to do it.

It saves files to Windower/videos/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users