Photo

Windows 7 64 Bit, Windower 4 not starting at all, no errors.

Best Answer Arcon , 04 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

I really wish I could help, but I don't even know where to start. I have never seen anything like this. Since it cannot even start, I assume it's a .NET error somewhere, but I'm really not sure where...

Go to the full post

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ryalin

Ryalin

• Members
    • Pip
    • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Me and my partner both have Windows 7 64 Bit, we're both installing FFXI from the Steam collection, we bought our computers at roughly the same time, from the same provider, we've both used the previous version of windower fine for many years.

The difference is, my Windower works perfectly from the get go, and hers simply doesn't work at all.

When booting Windower 4 on her computer, it loads for about 5 seconds then does nothing at all. The program closes in the taskmanager box and there is no error message at all.

Things I have already tried:

Reinstalling Windower 4.

Reinstalling FFXI, fully booting into FFXI without windower, then booting Windower.

Doing the above, and then reinstalling Windower and trying again.

Cleaning the Registry with CCleaner and trying again, reinstalling and trying again.

Running Windower in every available Compatilbity mode.

Running Windower as Administrator.

Changing the Windower settings to always run as administrator.

Firewall is disabled, and no antivirus is installed.

Moving the Windower 4 directory to the desktop.

Installing the whole game, playonline viewer and everything from discs rather than steam.

Using the Windows 7 Compatible Playonline download from the Square Enix site.

Using the Above with the Steam installation, as well as with the disc installation.

At this point, having trawled through every thread both relevant and quasi-relevant, I am on the verge of giving up.

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Update:

Noticed that there is no settings.xml or Hook.dll in her folder whilst there is on mine.

UAC wasn't the issue as that was already set to the lowest setting.

I cannot make a .dmp file as I cannot get windower to even start.

When I start windower.exe, it appears in the task manager box and the a couple of seconds later WerFault.exe appears and both close.

Checking this periodically each day as very eager to get this problem sorted. Can provide any additional information as requested.

Many thanks.

Just tried copying Hook.dll and Settings.xml from my windower folder to hers but no luck.

Update:

Was reading this one you've already responded to: https://github.com/W...sues/issues/283

It's basically the same problem as that, although I don't have a SSD to try it with or any other drive.

One thing I should mention is that we're both EU players with EU versions - Further to this, I just tried installing the old Windower 3.42

on her computer and it works, but only when I change the language settings to EU (Otherwise I get Final Fantasy XI is not installed).

Is Windower 4 somehow default on US before it boots? I don't have a settings.xml to tinker with either at the moment after a fresh install.

Edited by Ryalin, 31 December 2013 - 02:41 AM.

#2 Ryalin

Ryalin

• Members
      • Pip
      • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just to add a few more things, this doesn't occur when running FFXI normally, FFXI runs just fine without windower.

I cannot seem to use windbg using your guide at https://github.com/W...mps-with-Windbg

because there is no pol process.

I also tried reinstalling everything and making sure to delete all registry entries for FFXI and Windower before doing so, but still no joy.

This seems really weird, how it just doesn't want to work at all on hers but works fine on mine...

Her .NET framework version is 4.5 and mine is 4.3 for what that's worth.

#3 Ryalin

Ryalin

• Members
        • Pip
        • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:47 PM

Any ideas at all that I might try?

I appreciate the great work you guys do for nothing and I'm sorry for the shameless bump but this is really causing me a huge headache.

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
          • 1189 posts
          • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:40 PM   Best Answer

I really wish I could help, but I don't even know where to start. I have never seen anything like this. Since it cannot even start, I assume it's a .NET error somewhere, but I'm really not sure where...

#5 Ryalin

Ryalin

• Members
          • Pip
          • 4 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

It may have been a shot in the dark, but thank you very much, it seems reinstalling .NET framework addressed the issue!

Much appreciated!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users