71 replies to this topic

#61 Ajirha

Ajirha

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:46 PM

FFXI crash on start-up issue.

until a few days ago, windower was working fine. then it crashed and after that, even the vanilla version would not run, 3D directX issue. it crashed while i was logging in an alt. first time it ever happened to me on any system.

my status:

Windows 10 clean instal (had to do that after the upgrade from 8.1 to make the game work at all)

up to date drivers

vanilla version works fine after i completely uninstall and reinstalled it

had to creat the key in the registry to make windower display anything but a white screen

windower makes ffxi crash on start-up and i cant find anywhere to even start to give an explanation, i'm totaly at loss here.

would there be any chance of help on the matter? or is it a lost cause?

#62 petezag

petezag

• Members
    • Pip
    • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:04 PM

I just started having this issue yesterday.

I can run vanilla XI

windower crashes when it goes for playonline window to xi window

Running Widows 10

up to date drivers

Please contact me to fix at [email protected]

#63 xilk

xilk

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 03:15 AM

This started happening on my box as well even after a full reinstall of ffxi and windower.

I feel like there was some graphical modification made, and a warning but I can't find it for the life of me.

#64 Kiddou111

Kiddou111

• Members
        • Pip
        • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:34 PM

I'm running into this issue now as well, however I've got a bit of a twist.

History: Windows 10 desktop with newest drivers running an upgrade form win7 with dual displays. No issues with anything until today.  No updates have occurred or any software changes aside from trying to run vanilla before the issue hit in the last 72 hours.

I went to go complete the quest Breaking the Ice and got the black screen issue that wiki noted you'd have to run the game normally sans windower to complete.

Tried that and the game kept refusing to launch from POL due to d3d issues and up until this point I've been playing ffxi via windower no problem so I doubt it's a true d3d issue.  Try to reload via windower and now all of a sudden I'm crashing when it's switching between POL and FFXI.  Tried a reboot just in case with no luck, nor are disabling any of the plugins having an effect.

Now here's where it gets odd. I fire up the configuration utility to go see if things are set odd and the first thing i see is a bunch of the windows are filled odd accented ?s like the font is missing or corrupted with the standard settings set (512x512, etc..)  Tried to reset and a dialog box full of ?s popped up and the settings reverted back to basic.  Pull up regedit and check the registry and note that it's got the settings that are set via windower (1440*900, doubled texture size, etc.)  Suspect there's issues with it accessing or saving the registry settings so I pull up the values online and start checking and everything looks like it's sane and has been what I've used for years.

For giggles I set the windowed mode to 1 (built in window mode) and it launches fine via vanilla but still dies via windower. If memory serves me right that's because it doesn't handle pol set to windowed mode. Reset the registry to fullscreened to see if it works now that i've got it loading properly in one situation, and it still crashes in both vanilla and windower.  Have tried unplugging the secondary display so I'm a single display system and it's still crashing.

Currently running it in vanilla windowed mode.

The corrupted text in the ffxi configuration tool has me a tad concerned, but right now I suspect it may be a red herring.

I'm having the same issue as this right now, have tried changing resolutions with no help at all. regular pol works but every time i try to start up windower mode it resets the settings in ffxi config. please help with this issue.

#65 Delgear

Delgear

• Members
          • Pip
          • 2 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:45 PM

I just had this problem start today, i was able to get the vanilla installation running again but it closes from the transition from POL to FFXI.exe, with no real error message just a "POL has stopped working" windows box with green bar. (im in windows 10). the vanilla installation was giving a direct 3d error but after some fiddling with compatibility settings that started working and i can log in on vanilla. but windower still crashes -.-

#66 Godofgods

Godofgods

• Members
            • PipPip
            • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

A few days ago windower started crashing when changing over to pol/ffxi. Not sure what the cause is but it happens every time. I just recently put this comp together with win7 pro. Installed ffxi and windower and it was working fine. Then kept the machine off for a few days while i was waiting for a vga adapter so i could hook it up to the monitor (had to use hdmi to tv while working on it). When i turned it back on this issue was occurring.  - Oddly enough however it is not occurring on my old xp comp

Someone mentioned messing with tdrdelay but that didnt change much. Only an extra second between eroor showing up and error confirmed. And i didnt change anything between when it was working and when it wasnt. The comp wasnt even on between those times.

This is what is happening:

#67 Evilmuffin

Evilmuffin

• Members
              • Pip
              • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

Same issue with the above user.  It started yesterday afternoon after FFXI crashed mid game.

Not entirely this is helpful or not....POL has been crashing after I do a /shutdown from the game running windower 4 in the past week or so (before when windower 4 was working).  It will exit out the game and than that POL has stopped working error.

The game still works in SE's windower, but my god.....it looks so AWFUL without the windower :D

Ooh and one more thing.  Immediately after I discover windower 4 doesn't work.  I tried load the game regularly.  It gave an error about direct3d and crashed out.

#68 Godofgods

Godofgods

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 12:20 AM

Not entirely this is helpful or not....POL has been crashing after I do a /shutdown from the game running windower 4 in the past week or so (before when windower 4 was working).  It will exit out the game and than that POL has stopped working error.

my xp comp does this all the time. after i shutdown i get an error that terminates the game. But thats (for me) a separate issue then my post above

The game still works in SE's windower, but my god.....it looks so AWFUL without the windower :D

im able to load my game without windower. I used to play on regular windowed mode for years. But i guess i got used to windower quick. Becuase when i loaded that up, my god it did look heavily pixialed.

#69 Evilmuffin

Evilmuffin

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 4 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:00 AM

my xp comp does this all the time. after i shutdown i get an error that terminates the game. But thats (for me) a separate issue then my post above

im able to load my game without windower. I used to play on regular windowed mode for years. But i guess i got used to windower quick. Becuase when i loaded that up, my god it did look heavily pixialed.

I tried a complete clean install of the windower (uninstall and delete windower folder in /program files (x86)), and updated my graphic driver.  None of these worked.  I really don't want to reinstall the game...I mean....it takes 12 hrs to update :P  and I'm not even sure it will solve the problem.

#70 Godofgods

Godofgods

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 19 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:02 AM

i did try uninstalling windower and reinstalling it. No difference. My ffxi alone still works fine, so no point in trying it on that atm.

#71 Evilmuffin

Evilmuffin

• Members
                      • Pip
                      • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:45 AM

With reinstalling POL/FFXI and Windower both don't work, I wonder if it is something with the directx or direct3d registry.  I'm pretty sure if one is willing to reinstall windows, the problem will be fix  :D   If it doesn't...well...I dunno....

#72 Evilmuffin

Evilmuffin

• Members
                        • Pip
                        • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 12:57 AM

Found a way to get around that.

http://ffxiclopedia....m/wiki/Graphics

The above link has info on how to make the SE windower looks better.  You do have to mess with the registry.  It lets you set mip mapping to above default value and custom background resolution.  I set my mip mapping to 4 and background to 3840 x 2160 (my ffxi window resolution is 1920 x 1080).  The game now looks much better.  I wish there is a way to set draw distance but I don't think it is possible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users