IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts
    • LocationBastok (Chicago)

Posted 03 May 2015 - 11:42 PM

Hi,

I'm preparing to return to FFXI, but need to get a few more things done before I'll be back.  This entry is in two sections - backgroud and request for your help.

My old system (Dell Precision 390, Q6700; 8GB RAM; Geforce 8800GT) died big time late last year (actually died twice), I decided to buy a new (to me, meaning refurbuished system).  As I'm on disabilty, it took me time to get the $2,500 or so dollars together to buy the new one.  I'm finally in the last stages of installing FFXI and this is where I need YOUR advice and help.  Specifically:

001)  Maps:  While I have ApRadar installed, I also want to update the FFXI internal maps.  Just before I left Square Enix started updating all the maps with locations of really cool things to know.  As the map packs also include useful information, I'm hoping by now someone combined the two together.  Thus I'm wondering:

• What is the status of the ingame maps and modifications to them by Square Enix?
    • What is the status of the ingame maps and modifications to them by others?
    • What do you recommend I do about the ingame maps?

002)  My new system (see) below include a SSD.  Anyone have advise and/or experiences they would like to share aobut FFXI on a SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (10% for RAPID)).

003)  What's new with the game?  I left in late October / early November 2014.  I'm talking about both ingame right now and the future.

004)  Anything else I should know?  What about Windower plugins and/or addons, LUA scripts, etc?

005)  Any other people out there with poor eye sight trying to play FFXI?  (See below about eyes.)

BACKGROUND:

So two really bad things occurred to take me away from FFXI.  (Computer died and my eyes)

First, my system died twice.  The first time cost $500 to repair an the second time, well, instead of trying to repair it I decided to save my money for a "new to me" (refurbished) system.  I got the system from ServerMonkey of Houstin, TX.  It took me awhile, but here are the Windows / FFXI benchmark and some of the specs.

Benchmarks:

WEI:  7.7  (Processor: 7.8;  RAM: 7.8;  Desktop Graphics:  7.9;  Gaming Graphics:  7.9;  Primary Hard Drive:  7.7)

FFXiBench Version 3:  Low:  10,571 -- High: 8,300

Specs:

Case:  Dell Precision T7500 (USB 2.0 front & back; IEEE 1394 front & back; eSATA back)

Processors:  Dual (2) Intel Xeon X5680 (3.33Ghz, hex core; 3.6Ghz Turbo).  The system has 12 physical cores and 24 logical cores.

RAM:  48GB (12 * 4GB DIMMs @ 1333Mhz)  (Expandable to 96GB usng 8GB DIMMs and 192GB using 16GB DIMMs)

Video:  EVGA GTX 970

Monitors:

Dell U3011 (2560x1600) LCD using DVI

Dell ST2420L (1920x1080) LED using HDMI

Drives:

Optical:

Pionner BluRay BD-RW BDR-209D

Internal Drives:

Boot (C:):  Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB

Primary Data (D:):  Seagate ST32000644NS 2TB

External Drives:

Western Digital EXT HDD 1021 2.0TB  USB 2.0

Western Digital EXT HDD 1021 2.5TB  USB 2.0

Seagate Expansion Desktop 5.0TB  USB 3.0

Seagate Expansion Desktop 5.0TB  USB 3.0

Network:

Broadcomm NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Ethernet

Intel AC7260 Dekstop (Dual Band Wireless and Bluetooth 4.0)

PCI cards:

USB 3.0 (4 ports on the front)

EVGA GTX 970

Intel AC7260

HID:  Keyboard:  Dell Multimedia keyboard with USB 2.0 hub

Mouse:  Dell Mouse

Digitizer: Waacom Small tablet

Gamepad:  Logitech F710 and F510

Web Camera: Logitech G910

Headphones:  Logitech G930 Wireless

Speakers:  Logitech 2.1 speakers

Video capture:  Fraps (software) and Hauppage HD-PVR2 (157xxx/1512)

Printer:  Brothers HL5250DN (Laser, Duplex; Ethernet)

All-in-One:  HP OfficeJet 4500 G510g (Ethernet)

Warranty:  2 year expandable to 5 years

I know I missed other stuff, but that is it for the most part.

Second / Eyes:  The OTHER THING keeping me at bay from FFXI are my eyes.  SIGH!!  I know most of you won't even be thinking about this for decades, but it just hit me.  CATARACTS, yeah, my left eye needs surgery this year and my right can wait a bit.  I'm not sure of the cost, but . . . as I'm on disability, I do have insurance, but they'll only pay for the most basic of lense.  I'd like one a bit more advanced, such as protects against UV/blue light and has 20/20 at all distances (long, in between, and near).

I'm not sure what caused the cataracts, as I am 58 it could be my age, but generally people in my family get them in their 80s, but each person is different (and I don't know my Dad's side very well).  The other thing I can think of is being in front of computer screens (Tube and flat screen since I was a teenager).  Hey, I'm the first generation of real compuer nerds (who would spend days in front of a screen) to reach this age.  Anyway reading on the net it sounds like the better lenses cost about $2,400 extra each.  While I'd like to have 20/20 to play I guess I can play with what eye sight I have lft in my right eye.  Plus my Son can help me.  I hope / think . . .

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts
    • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:32 PM

001)  Maps:  While I have ApRadar installed, I also want to update the FFXI internal maps.  Just before I left Square Enix started updating all the maps with locations of really cool things to know.  As the map packs also include useful information, I'm hoping by now someone combined the two together.  Thus I'm wondering:

• What is the status of the ingame maps and modifications to them by Square Enix?
    • What is the status of the ingame maps and modifications to them by others?
    • What do you recommend I do about the ingame maps?

Didn't know SE ever did anything to them. No one else did either, it has been very stagnant the last few months.

002)  My new system (see) below include a SSD.  Anyone have advise and/or experiences they would like to share aobut FFXI on a SSD (Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (10% for RAPID)).

Same as on every other drive.

003)  What's new with the game?  I left in late October / early November 2014.  I'm talking about both ingame right now and the future.

FFXI development will be discontinued in November. I don't think there's much new going on content-wise.

004)  Anything else I should know?  What about Windower plugins and/or addons, LUA scripts, etc?

https://gist.github....912e5c5ed02c58b

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Returning to FFXI, maps, advice, ssd, Cataracts

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users