Photo

Windower and FFXI UI Scales

Best Answer Iryoku , 17 August 2013 - 01:30 AM

We had dozens of complaints that Windower 3.4 didn't honor the UI resolution settings, so we fixed it in 4.0. There are no plans to change it back. I guess you can't please everyone.

As I said many (but not all) addons and plugins have configurable font sizes, but you'll have to read through the documentation for each one to figure out how to change them.

Go to the full post

7 replies to this topic

#1 Divinian

Divinian

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

Simple question, with maybe a not so simple answer...idk:

When using the UI scale slider, both addon/plugin overlay text and ffxi text increase or decrease together.  The problem I am having is that my ffxi text is too small and overlay text is too big.  Is there any way to toggle the size of these texts independently.  Thanks in advance for the help.

#2 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 488 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:00 AM

First, prior to Windower 4.1 text size is linked to the system dpi setting, this was fixed in 4.1. If you are using 4.0, and have the system set to anything other than 96 dpi, then Windower's text will not render at the correct size.

Beyond that, depending on the addon or plugin you may, be able to configure the font size. Can you tell us which ones you would like to adjust?

#3 Divinian

Divinian

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:28 AM

There isn't really just one addon/plugin that gives me issues.  Whenever a particular addon or plugin has an overlay of any kind, it is too big.  Take the console for instance.  At my particular settings, I cannot see the end of each line in the windower console because it extends beyond the window.  If I decrease the UI Scale to 1.0, it looks great, but then the FFXI text is too small fo me to read.

Two things of note..I play on a strange resolution (1245x950) and my monitor is an HD TV.  I like the resoltuon as I like to have other windows up at the same time and yeah I have found that since I hooked up to the TV that most text needs to be made bigger in order to see it.

This, my most unfortunate dilemma.  I would prefser larger FFXI text and smaller windower plugin overlays.

One specific example from today: I started using cellhelp for salvage and i could not fit the entire overlay onto my ffxi screen.  There were words on the buttom that were off the window.  Plugin overlays that aren't supposed to be large and obnoxious always are..unless I want to sacrifice reading the chatbox, menues, and macros.

Is it hopeless?  Thanks for the help.

#4 Divinian

Divinian

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 11 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:36 AM

Oh and it seems I am using 4.0.

#5 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 488 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:30 AM   Best Answer

We had dozens of complaints that Windower 3.4 didn't honor the UI resolution settings, so we fixed it in 4.0. There are no plans to change it back. I guess you can't please everyone.

As I said many (but not all) addons and plugins have configurable font sizes, but you'll have to read through the documentation for each one to figure out how to change them.

#6 Slaanesh

Slaanesh

• Members
              • Pip
              • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

Does the 4.1 change to text fix the blurry font issue for windower elements or is that going to remain as long as UI scaling is enabled?

#7 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 488 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

It's probably always going to be blurry when you scale the UI. Font scaling isn't linear, that is, making text two times as tall does not mean the text is going to be two times as wide. This makes it difficult to do without breaking things. Some plugins rely on text having a specific aspect ratio for positioning.

#8 carolanne

carolanne

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 1 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Hello,
                    Text is a lil too small for me!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users