• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

mgFOuBJ.jpg

Download the latest version here.

Browse the maps here.

Maintained and updated by Swavely on Shiva.

About this project:

This just started for fun on the side to consolidate all of the information from various maps into an easy to read, professional looking layout. I simply took the information from other maps and created my own, so the real credit for the original maps and exploring goes out to their original creators and adventurers. Thank you for all of your hard work! For now, this map pack only includes maps for the Seekers of Adoulin expansion.

Disclaimer:

Before you begin, if you would like to keep any of your original maps make sure to back them up! Otherwise, these changes are permanent with your current installation of FFXI. If you want your old maps back and do not have the original copies you're on your own to find the .DAT files somewhere, or reinstall FFXI. Also, I am not responsible for any issues with your computer resulting from the installation and use of these files. 

Installation:

When you're ready to proceed, copy these ROM folders to your FFXI installation directory and overwrite all files. The default installation directory for Windows Vista and newer is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\

For Steam users, the default installation directory is a bit different:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ffxi\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XI\

Adventurers, we need help! These maps are ever evolving, but accuracy is a top priority. If a map is missing material points, doorways, locations, zone entrances, etc. please let us know!

Maps included:

ROM/311/108.DAT - Outer Ra'Kaznar Upper Floor (Added 6/14/14)

ROM/302/19.DAT - Kamihr Drifts (Added 5/29/14, Modified 6/3/14)

ROM/293/0.DAT - Foret De Hennetiel (Added 5/26/14)

ROM/292/126.DAT - Yahse Hunting Grounds (Added 5/25/14)

ROM/292/126.DAT - Ceizak Battlegrounds (Added 5/25/14)

Questions or comments are welcome!

#2 Caradog

Caradog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

Looks like an awesome project.

Any chance this is going to be extended to include more of the older maps in the future?

#3 Swavely

Swavely

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 12 posts
    • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 June 2014 - 08:29 PM

Thank you!

Adding more maps other than SoA is definitely an option. I know Abyssea maps would be handy as well. My original map project started with East Sarutabaruta and West Sarutabaruta, but we couldn't get them working without some hex editing so the project sort of died there.

Unfortunately I can't add any more information to the original post, but there is some information/verification I need help with currently:

Kamihr Drifts

• Added hidden terrain. Need accuracy confirmed.
    • Need locations of Lost Articles and Harvest Points.

Ceizak Battlegrounds

• Added hidden terrain behind Wildskeeper Reive. Need accuracy confirmed.

Thanks Caradog for the confirmation and information!

#4 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

This is so exciting, thanks Swavely!

#5 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Some feedback about the Kamihr map

1) Mining point at Biv #3, go north from the tent, it will be on the left, just before you drop

2) Mining point at Biv #3, go east from the tent, it will be in the tunnel on your left, midway through. Can target it from the tent.

3) (not confirmed 100%), Mining point at biv #3, south of the tent, just before you drop

4) Close to biv #3, in the tunnel at G-7. If you head there from Biv #3 you will find it on y our right, after a left turn, after the ice pillar thingy (graphic element, non targetable)

5) There's another targetable-from-tent Mining point, it's at either #1 or  #2. Tried to find it again but it wasn't up =/

6) Similarly to above, there's a Lost Article which spawns right next to a bivouac but I can't remember if it was 1, 2, 3 or 4

Might want to wait for other people to provide additional feedback before putting points 3, 5 and 6 in the map.

Also if I can suggest another map to be working on next, do Yorcia please!

The current modified dat map sucks before SE changed some things after it got released and see the results on my PC here => http://tinypic.com/r/30tkle1/8

.dat map didn't get updated after SE changed that thing, so all the coordinates are off and there's a part of the screen viewable (uppern part of the screen) even while in map mode, lol

Also my very very personal thoughts on how to improve maps:

Personally I hate too much stuff/colours on modified maps (which is why your maps are so incredibly awesome), but at the same time a smart use of shapes and colours (limited!) allows you to provide a lot of information with a very limited amount of "shapes". And since the resolution on these dat things suck (pixels everywhere!) it's better if you can keep the shapes as simple as possible (but of course you know this better than me)

Also please put #numbers close to the Bivouacs.

What else? Uhm, can't really think of anything else lol

#6 Swavely

Swavely

• Members
        • PipPip
        • 12 posts
        • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

I appreciate the feedback and the information!

Those points you've listed, if possible could you save a copy of a map of that area and add some colored dots on it and send it my way? It would make updating it much easier.

The resolution for these maps is 512x512, so considering the size of the areas it doesn't give me a lot of room to work with. A lot of the maps that were exported from other map packs look like they took a 512x512 map image, blew it up to 1024x1024, added information to it, then shrunk it back down to 512x512 and put it back in a .DAT. That pretty much takes the font that was fine at that larger size and makes it barely legible when it's sized down. The same issue happens with their legend symbols. My maps are all being created in their native resolution, eliminating the illegibility issue. The legend symbols are done in the same sense, in a way doing pixel art for them. Creating the symbols at this size also makes them much clearer on the map. It's hard to, for example, create an icon for some roots in such a small work space. The color palette isn't a huge issue, but keeping with the consistency of the look of the maps, saturated colors might stand out more but don't work with the old and worn art style. It's a balancing act, to be honest.

Also, the Bivouacs are actually numbered with roman numerals either on the top or bottom.

I'm currently working on the Outer Ra'Kaznar Lower Floor but we can do Yorcia next, sure!

#7 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 79 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 11:49 PM

My maps are all being created in their native resolution

Yes!
          Which is exactely why your maps are so awesome :D

aturated colors might stand out more but don't work with the old and worn art style

Yes, and as I said in my premise, I don't really like an overflow of colours.
          But it could come in handy to distinguish between Mining Points, Logging Points, maybe Lost Articles etc.
          Could use the same/similar icon but a different colour for example.
          In such a situation multiple colours might be better than too many different icons.
          (just my personal view, either way I trust your judgement, seeing how excellent your choices have been so far)

I didn't see bivouac numbers for the Kamihr Map, but maybe I was using an old version.
          Will refresh files tomorrow.

#8 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 79 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 03:56 PM

Kamihr Drifts, #3, mining point SW from the bivouac, on the left (confirmed 100%). Targetable from the Biv.
            Kamihr Drifts, #4, Mining Point NW from the bivouac, on the right (confirmed 100%). Targetable from the Biv.

#9 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 79 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:38 PM

Lost Article in Kamihr Drifts at Biv #1, pops right by the tent.

#10 Swavely

Swavely

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 12 posts
              • LocationUnited States

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Sorry folks, just got back from vacation!

I recently talked to Arcon about the future of this project, so for the time being I'm just working on this map pack until we can somehow incorporate FFXIDB information.

Akumasama, thanks for the info! If possible, could you download a copy of Kamihr Drifts and add some colored dots on the map in Paint or something and send it my way? It will make updating that map much easier.

Also, did you find the Bivouac numbers on the map? I want to make sure I didn't save that map with them turned off by accident.

#11 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 79 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 01:43 AM

Biv numbers aren't in the version I own.
                Maybe it's an old version.
                Can I redownload from the link in the first post? Is it updated?
                I can see them in the map posted here http://imgur.com/a/qy79s#2

And yes I assume I could place some small dots on the map with just paint using the one in the link above.

#12 Schliematt

Schliematt

• Members
                • PipPip
                • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:49 PM

If the locations to the 5 delve NMs could be put on these as well, that would be spectacular!

#13 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
                  • PipPipPip
                  • 79 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 01:09 AM

Checked Kamihr again, Bivouac have numbers now ;)

#14 Schliematt

Schliematt

• Members
                    • PipPip
                    • 18 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:53 AM

I have the same problem with yorcia map, its positioned slightly down from where it should. my marker appears where it should on the /map but not where it should on ffxidb map. im not sure how its possible but unless i can find a correct dat as other people say they dont have the section you can see thru at the top i will be patiently awaiting this version of yorcia maps.

EDIT: Someoen provided me with a fixed 66.dat for yorcia. So now i have a pathless useless map but its fixed!

i really like your maps so far. though i found a version of outer rakznar that i like a bit better. they used color to mark sections off noting where barriers will be so to move to other sections u have to use a vine or elevator. this is most helpful i think. i actually accidently found it when looking thru maps i had downloaded previously to fix my yorcia issue. I am not even sure where i got this version of outer rakznar but if i could show u it to illustrate what i mean by colored sections i would.

#15 Swavely

Swavely

• Members
                      • PipPip
                      • 12 posts
                      • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:08 PM

Schliematt, could you send me the .DAT files for your preferred Outer Rakznar and fixed Yorcia maps? I can take a look and see what I can incorporate.

Also, adding delve NM information is doable but if we can hold off for a bit they could be labeled later automatically with information from FFXIDB. For now I was just doing maps with information regarding terrain and transportation, specifically avoiding bestiary related notations. If we can't get the FFXIDB to automatically display monster locations for whatever reason, I can go back and add them.

#16 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
                      • PipPipPip
                      • 79 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

I like your plan. With the amount of work to be done, it's better if we (well, YOU :P) avoid useless hours of editing.

Would the FFXIDB integration put data only in the FFXIDB minimap or also in the /map screen?

As for Yorcia I can confirm that issue, that's why I suggest that as your next map to be working on.

If you want a better insight as to why that happened you can read THIS post, should give you a short explanation of the wrong positioning issue.

#17 Feary

Feary

• Members
                        • PipPip
                        • 22 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:02 PM

there is no lost article in ceizak at g-8, that was mistake on spira/arceila colonization maps.

i capped 4 characters doing these  in this zone.

either way, this is awesome, keep up the good work

#18 Akumasama

Akumasama

Advanced Member

• Members
                          • PipPipPip
                          • 79 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

Just noticed a small error in the Foret de Hennetiel map.
                            You probably used Spira's maps data to create this one, because he had the same error (and never got fixed).
                            The position of Bivouac IV is a bit off.

Here's the correct position:

hennetiel.png

#19 Schliematt

Schliematt

• Members
                            • PipPip
                            • 18 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:02 PM

OK the fixed version of the yorcia map is basically spiras but fixed for the positioning. I think my friend changed a few other things as well.

I put the dats in a zip file but not really sure how to get it to you, i dont have any megadownload type places (dont really want to sign up for one either) is there a way to send you a zip file? Not sure if messages sent thru the forum let u send files as well.

Also in kamihr drifts your lambert pillar and loch of flux are switched on your map. And a few hidden tunnels are a bit off. I found a couple but can only recall the one at G-7 off hand.

#20 Swavely

Swavely

• Members
                              • PipPip
                              • 12 posts
                              • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:11 AM

I got those changes in, thank you everyone!

Schliematt, I think there is a way to send files on here but Dropbox is probably the easiest. It's free and signup isn't a headache.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maps, .DATs, Pack, Surveyor, Swavely, Seekers, Adoulin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users