Photo

Two Scoreboard (addon) issues: (1) Wiki 404 error and (2) LUA line 94 "nil value"

ScoreboardWikiLUA errornil value404 errorGitHub.com

7 replies to this topic

#1 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts
    • LocationBastok (Chicago)

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:24 PM

Hello,

I was trying to learn more about Scoreboard and was in the Wiki at:

URL:  http://wiki.windower...dons:scoreboard

It's page only shows one item, a link to URL:  https://github.com/W...dons/scoreboard

GitHub.com says this page doesn't exist.  Using the GitHub search for "Windower Scoreboard" and "FFXI Scoreboard" returns nothing, just scoreboard returns many (57 PAGES worth), etc.

So, ah, where in the Wiki (or elsewhere) do you find help and information on Scoreboard?

I'm asking as I'm getting an error message when loading it for the first time about a "nil value" at line 97 (scoreboard.lua).  It is difficult to read the entire message, as consolebg isn't covering all the text.  (I tried using consolebg's documentation to change the size of the black area, but without success.  I know it is something I'm not doing correct / understanding.)  NOTE:  While the first time scoreboard won't load, it does load on the second attempt.

Anyway, help on either or both of these issues would be great.  Again:

1)  Wiki page has a link that ends up with a 404 error on GitHub.com

2)  Loading Scoreboard first time causes an erorr a line 97 of Scoreboard.lua.  Nil value.  Scoreboard won't load, BUT you can do it again and on the second time it will take.

Thank you,

I.B. Halliwell on Ragnarok

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts
    • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:19 AM

Does it always not work the first time? As in, on every login, it will again not work until you try the second time?

Also the correct link should be this:
    https://github.com/W...dons/scoreboard

But you don't need that to check the code, you can just go to you Windower folder > addons > scoreboard, and it'll bring you to the same code.

As for the error, I cannot reproduce it on the dev build of Windower. Can you try there if you ever get a chance?

#3 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

Does it always not work the first time? As in, on every login, it will again not work until you try the second time?

Also the correct link should be this:
    https://github.com/W...dons/scoreboard

But you don't need that to check the code, you can just go to you Windower folder > addons > scoreboard, and it'll bring you to the same code.

As for the error, I cannot reproduce it on the dev build of Windower. Can you try there if you ever get a chance?

REPLY UPDATED:

Thank you for the quick reply! :-)

Specifcally, what I'm seeing is this:

1) Start Windower 4

2) Log into POL

3) Start FFXI

4) While watching the command window (insert key), I see the plugins and then the addons start.

5) When it is scoreboard's turn, a message about scoreboard.lua failing comes up saying there is a nil value in line 97, which is a position line.

6) I do:  lua unload scoreboard  (See note below)

7) Then: lua load scoreboard    and everything works this time around and continues working fine "forever."

The error message itself reads:

scoreboard: lua error (runtime) - ...es (x86)/Windower4//addons/scoreboard/scoreboard.lua:97: attempt to index upvalue 'display' (a nil value)

NOTE:  I find even if I manually code x and y the problem still occurs.

NOTE:  When I do an UNLOAD  a simular message appears but on line 340 instead of 97.

As for trying the development build version, ah, nope ... can I run the development build version of scoreboard OR do I need to run the entire development build of Windower4??

Question:  Can I run BOTH the stable and development version of Windower4 on the same system?

Question:  Can one run BOTH the stable and developement verson of Windower4 on the same machine and at the same time?

Thanks! :-)

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:08 PM

REPLY UPDATED:

Thank you for the quick reply! :-)

Specifcally, what I'm seeing is this:

1) Start Windower 4

2) Log into POL

3) Start FFXI

4) While watching the command window (insert key), I see the plugins and then the addons start.

5) When it is scoreboard's turn, a message about scoreboard.lua failing comes up saying there is a nil value in line 97, which is a position line.

6) I do:  lua unload scoreboard  (See note below)

7) Then: lua load scoreboard    and everything works this time around and continues working fine "forever."

The error message itself reads:

scoreboard: lua error (runtime) - ...es (x86)/Windower4//addons/scoreboard/scoreboard.lua:97: attempt to index upvalue 'display' (a nil value)

NOTE:  I find even if I manually code x and y the problem still occurs.

NOTE:  When I do an UNLOAD  a simular message appears but on line 340 instead of 97.

I'll try to see what this is about, thanks for the full error message.

As for trying the development build version, ah, nope ... can I run the development build version of scoreboard OR do I need to run the entire development build of Windower4??

You need the entire development build. The addon is the same, but the libraries are different.

Question:  Can I run BOTH the stable and development version of Windower4 on the same system?

Yes.

Question:  Can one run BOTH the stable and developement verson of Windower4 on the same machine and at the same time?

Yes, but obviously not of the same POL account. But you can have your main on live and your mule on dev.

#5 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

I'll try to see what this is about, thanks for the full error message.

You need the entire development build. The addon is the same, but the libraries are different.

Yes.

Yes, but obviously not of the same POL account. But you can have your main on live and your mule on dev.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply.  I'd appreciate hearing if you find a work around / solution for the current production version.

Right now I manually unload and then load scoreboard.  Is there a "good" way to automate this, say as a workaround?  (If necessary?)

Thank you,

#6 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 04:27 AM

You could put something in your init.txt to reload for you after it's loaded, or in your AutoExec scripts. Just add this line:

lua r scoreboard

#7 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

You could put something in your init.txt to reload for you after it's loaded, or in your AutoExec scripts. Just add this line:

lua r scoreboard

Hi! :-)

1) Thank you.  I'll try it out this work around.

2) Maybe you can help me with a ConsoleBG question.  I'm asking as the error message extends a long ways past the black background ConsoleBG provides.  This makes reading the message difficult.  After reading the ConsoleBG documentation, I'm still unable to change the length of the black background to as long as the error message.

Can you, please, help me extend the black background of ConsoleBG so it covers the entire error message from scoreboard?

3) Just a suggestion:  When a scoreboard error occurs, maybe it could generate a text file with the error message (PLUS any debug information that you would find useful).

4) We have several Windows (XP & 7) running FFXI with Windower.  Only my system is having this issue.  Of course, there are differences between the systems.  Mine is the only dual monitor (2560x1600 & 1920x1080) system and I run FFXI in the largest window of all the systems.  I'm wondering if the issue might be something in the xml file or . . .

I can reproduce this issue 100% of the time on 1 out of 4 systems, so obviously the issue doesn't affect every system.  So, I'm wondering what I can do on my side to help figure out the issue.  Unless all you want to do is wait and see if the new version fixes it by chance.

5) I noticed when I unload scoreboard the (nil value) error message again appears.  So it appears NOT just with the first load.  Surprising I don't remember the error message coming up with the first unload (just the subsequent ones).

Anyway, anything I can do to help debug the issue - please - let me know.

#8 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
    • 1189 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 04:10 AM

2) Maybe you can help me with a ConsoleBG question.  I'm asking as the error message extends a long ways past the black background ConsoleBG provides.  This makes reading the message difficult.  After reading the ConsoleBG documentation, I'm still unable to change the length of the black background to as long as the error message.

Can you, please, help me extend the black background of ConsoleBG so it covers the entire error message from scoreboard?

Go to Windower/plugins/settings/ConsoleBG.xml and change the existing values to these:

<PosX>0</PosX>
            <PosY>0</PosY>
            <Alpha>224</Alpha>
            <Red>0</Red>
            <Green>0</Green>
            <Blue>0</Blue>
            <SizeX>1920</SizeX>
            <SizeY>360</SizeY>
            <Image />
            <FitImage>false</FitImage>
            <RepeatX>1</RepeatX>
            <RepeatY>1</RepeatY>

3) Just a suggestion:  When a scoreboard error occurs, maybe it could generate a text file with the error message (PLUS any debug information that you would find useful).

You can enter //console_log 1 to enable logging of console text to a file (the file will be Windower/console.log). If you do that before loading Scoreboard for the first time, you'll see the error message in that file.

4) We have several Windows (XP & 7) running FFXI with Windower.  Only my system is having this issue.  Of course, there are differences between the systems.  Mine is the only dual monitor (2560x1600 & 1920x1080) system and I run FFXI in the largest window of all the systems.  I'm wondering if the issue might be something in the xml file or . . .

I can reproduce this issue 100% of the time on 1 out of 4 systems, so obviously the issue doesn't affect every system.  So, I'm wondering what I can do on my side to help figure out the issue.  Unless all you want to do is wait and see if the new version fixes it by chance.

Are you talking about the Scoreboard issue still? If so, that should be system-agnostic, it only depends on the provided Lua files. Not much you can do aside from giving us the exact error message and telling us when it happens I'm afraid :\

5) I noticed when I unload scoreboard the (nil value) error message again appears.  So it appears NOT just with the first load.  Surprising I don't remember the error message coming up with the first unload (just the subsequent ones).

Anyway, anything I can do to help debug the issue - please - let me know.

Thanks, like I said, just report the precise error, that's usually enough for us to figure it out.

The problem is that the original creator of Scoreboard is semi-inactive now and rarely shows up, and it's a bit of a complex piece of code, so it's not something we can easily adjust to fix it, but we're looking into it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scoreboard, Wiki, LUA error, nil value, 404 error, GitHub.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users