Windower crashing POL on shutdown

10 replies to this topic

#1 seph

seph

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

I just installed Windower 4 on a brand new machine and a fresh FFXI install and everytime I /shutdown in game it crashes at the end of the shutdown process.

I've searched the forums but found no question about this yet so I'm wondering if other people are having the same issues.

Thanks

#2 Xeye

Xeye

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 38 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:45 AM

Hi,

I'm having the same issue  :(

#3 seph

seph

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:49 AM

Cool. Maybe other people are too then and this can get solved :D

I tried unloading all the plugins before I logged out too but it still crashes POL.

#4 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
          • 1189 posts
          • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:26 AM

That bug is as old as Windower itself, which is why no one has reported it yet on this brand new forum ;)

It's almost universal, with very few sporadic exceptions, but we have no idea how to fix it. To avoid that, use //terminate instead of /shutdown, it will immediately kill the game process.

Also, this forum is mainly for support as to how to use Windower, or if you're unsure about whether or not what you're experiencing is a bug. For actual bugs we have a (searchable) bugtracker, where that bug has also been mentioned multiple times.

We would like to fix it eventually, but it's a very low priority to us, as it can be easily bypassed with //terminate.

#5 Cptbirdseye

Cptbirdseye

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 88 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

My husband who once submitted the x64 version of windower years ago said it sounds like a race condition, although these things are hard to find and fix and could be in either the dll or the exe or even both.  He reckons he could probably fix it with some smart thinking if he had access to the source.

#6 aureus

aureus

Lead Developer

• Windower Staff
            • 7 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

It is absolutely a race condition, but as previously mentioned, it's not a high priority whatsoever.

Race conditions are, generally speaking, rather annoying to track down.  On top of that, this bug doesn't really have any actual impact.  The game is shutting down, you just have to click an extra button to close it.  So we're looking at an issue that is high effort to fix, and ridiculously low impact.

tl;dr:  Not going to be fixed any time soon.  We're a volunteer crew, and we have a limited amount of manpower.  There are bigger fish to fry.

#7 Xeye

Xeye

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 38 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

No rush guys.

Take your time and know that we are really appreciate your hard work <3

I'll try to use autoexec to unload all plugins before exiting the game and see if it's gonna fix it or not.

#8 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
                • 1189 posts
                • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

I can tell you that it won't (not always, anyway, there's a degree of randomness involved).

You could just bind Alt+F4 to //terminate and be done with it. That's really the best solution to this problem.

• Xeye likes this

#9 Cptbirdseye

Cptbirdseye

Advanced Member

• Members
                • PipPipPip
                • 88 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

Yeah, I had one time where /shutdown after uninstalling all plugins worked, but like you said it's totally random as all other times doing the same thing caused it to crash.

#10 Daywhite

Daywhite

• Members
                  • PipPip
                  • 19 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:47 PM

Mine doesnt crash as much as it freezes, going to try //terminate next time i logout

#11 Camuel666

Camuel666

• Members
                    • Pip
                    • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:44 AM

i play with 2 different accounts using windower and when i log off of one it crashes my other one forcing me  to relog i also tried the alt f4 and it still does it

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users