1 reply to this topic

#1 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
    • PipPip
    • 10 posts
    • LocationZanesville, Ohio, USA

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

This may be a bit convoluted, I will try to keep it concise yet simple.

I upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7.
    I installed Final Fantasy XI Collection 2008 and Adoulin (the programs are stored on separate DVDs).
    I deleted the default desktop shortcut for Final Fantasy XI and ran the Configuration program.
    My screen is 1600x900, so I set 1280x720 and "Windowed" mode, then created a new desktop shortcut.
    I clicked the shortcut, entered my account number and such then logged into the game. Everything normal, I logged out of the game.

I installed the latest version of Windower 4, selected the plug-ins and eventually found the "Profile Edit", selecting "Window" and "North America".

I launched POL and logged into the game.  Everything proceeded normally.

The next day, I clicked the "Final Fantasy" shortcut created the day before, completed the "normal login" to POL.
    BUT
    When I went to enter the game, the screen went berserk, flashing black empty "windows" of 1280x720 size.
    After several flashes of this, I got an error window the size of POL viewer:
    "Terminated as error occurred in Final Fantasy XI.  Failed to initialize DIRECT 3D.
      Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run Final Fantasy XI.(-1)"

After closing out the apparent POL Viewer and exiting, I launched Windower 4 and entered the game normally.

The next day, I again deleted the Final Fantasy shortcut, and created a new one using the Config program.
    The new FFXI shortcut functioned normally, I logged into POL and entered the game in "windowed" mode.

BUT every time I enter Windower 4 and launch POL entering the game, the next time I use the FFXI shortcut the screen goes berserk.
    And it gives me the same error window, until I create a new FFXI shortcut using the Config program.

I hope someone can figure out what is going on and work out a correction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Krellion

Krellion

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:57 AM

Any time you run the game using Windower, it unsets the "run windowed" option, so when you try the FFXI shortcut, it tries to change your screen resolution to what you have set (1280x720) to run full-screen. Your video card's drivers don't recognize that as a valid option and thus you get the flashing black screen until it gives up.

If you're using Windower, why bother with the FFXI shortcut anyway? Stick with one or the other. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users