Photo

Crashing - Dual Instance - Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1Zone Crash

Best Answer greenmonkey7 , 05 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

My issues seem to have been resolved.  I am getting a "post_to_long" error so I will have to do multiple posts.  

I do not have direct proof, but here is my hypothesis:  

One change between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is that the "DirectPlay" feature has to be enabled under "Programs and Features" in Windows 8.1.  I was prompted to install this feature when did my upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.  I thought that this may be causing an issue with FFXI during an in place upgrade.  To try and reslove this issue I did the following:

On my system the path to PlayOnline is C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline and my FFXI files are on my game drive at G:\FFXI

1.  Disabled and then enabled DirectPlay feature.

2.  Renamed my FFXI directory to FFXI_Old

3.  Copied my PlayOnline folder to my G: drive for a backup, and named it PlayOnline_Old there.

4.  Uninstalled PlayOnline and FFXI

5.  Ran setup for PlayOnline, and then over wrote the base install with my backup copy.

6.  Ran the setup for just the base install of FFXI to create registry entries, and then overwrote that install with my files from the FFXI_Old directory.  This process saves a lot of patching, macros, etc.

7.  Installed Windower 4.0 as suggested by Byrth.  Enabled my favorite Addons and Plugins.

Go to the full post

7 replies to this topic

#1 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
    • Pip
    • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

I have been having periodic crashing over the last few days.  I run two instances on the same PC. 

It occurs every time I do the following:

Use a Warp scroll - Home Point in Upper Jenuo at crystal

Zone into Abyssea

It occurs sometimes when doing the following:

Zoning into Mog House in Jenuo

Running across zones in Jenuo

It has not happened:

Warping to Abyssea crags from Jenuo

Using "Repatriation"

I have tried 4.0 and 4.1

Three major changes have been made recently:

1.  Windows 8 changed to Windows 8.1

2.  Graphics card changed from GeForce 470 to GeForce 660

3.  Changed from traditional HDD to 6/Gbs SSD

Running the following:

AddOns - None

PlugIns - BoxHelper, Distance, PetTP, SpellCast, TParty

I have had this error even with removing all PlugIns except SpellCast. 

I have updated my graphics card drivers.

This does not happen with a non-Windower instance

It does "seem" to take longer to occur the less PlugIns I have loaded, but I have no data to back that up. 

Can someone point me to the error / dump logs?  I seem to be over looking how to find / turn them on. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

#2 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
      • Pip
      • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:31 PM

I am also getting "Could not execute1 init.txt - file not found. - 2 

When launching Windower.  Could that be related?  How can I get WIndower to output an error log?  

#3 Byrth

Byrth

Advanced Member

• Members
        • PipPipPip
        • 85 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

If you're using Windower v4.1, you should make sure that you copied your init.txt into the v4.1 scripts folder. I have had similar issues with crashing on v4.1 lately, and we're working on it. I'll post when it's fixed (for me, at least).

#4 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
          • Pip
          • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

Excellent Byrth!  Thanks for the reply.  I'm just glad to know I may not be alone.  I will copy over the missing file, and I will make sure to post back in any of your updates fix my issue.  

#5 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
            • Pip
            • 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

I just wanted to post an update that things have now gotten worse.  In addition to the crash everything I zone into my mog house, use a warp scroll to take me to Jeuno, or run in front of the Marble eatery; I now also simply freeze.  The game will kick out a "...is not responding error" after I click the screen, and I have to kill the game and log back in.  Windower is pretty much not working for me now as I have log both my characters in a sum of four times just to get into Abyssea.  I have enabled logging, but cannot seem to find where the log is out putting to.  Can some one point me in the right direction?  

Thank you

#6 Byrth

Byrth

Advanced Member

• Members
              • PipPipPip
              • 85 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

Currently I feel the right direction is to head back to v4.0 for the moment.

The problem is better for me right now and I haven't managed to deadlock myself in the last four hours, but v4.1 is probably still more stable.

#7 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
                • Pip
                • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:10 AM   Best Answer

My issues seem to have been resolved.  I am getting a "post_to_long" error so I will have to do multiple posts.  

I do not have direct proof, but here is my hypothesis:  

One change between Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 is that the "DirectPlay" feature has to be enabled under "Programs and Features" in Windows 8.1.  I was prompted to install this feature when did my upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1.  I thought that this may be causing an issue with FFXI during an in place upgrade.  To try and reslove this issue I did the following:

On my system the path to PlayOnline is C:\Program Files (x86)\PlayOnline and my FFXI files are on my game drive at G:\FFXI

1.  Disabled and then enabled DirectPlay feature.

2.  Renamed my FFXI directory to FFXI_Old

3.  Copied my PlayOnline folder to my G: drive for a backup, and named it PlayOnline_Old there.

4.  Uninstalled PlayOnline and FFXI

5.  Ran setup for PlayOnline, and then over wrote the base install with my backup copy.

6.  Ran the setup for just the base install of FFXI to create registry entries, and then overwrote that install with my files from the FFXI_Old directory.  This process saves a lot of patching, macros, etc.

7.  Installed Windower 4.0 as suggested by Byrth.  Enabled my favorite Addons and Plugins.

#8 greenmonkey7

greenmonkey7

• Members
                  • Pip
                  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:10 AM

I have been playing for about four hours now, and have zoned many times trying to reproduce the crash, but it appears all is now well.  I'm not sure how many people will have the same issues as I have had, but considering 8.1 is a free upgrade from MS I thought I would make sure to post my fix here just in case.

Also, I should note that a large content update was released today, and I did not try to play after the patch.  So, all of this could be for nothing, and the update today simply fixed my issues lol.  But, if you are having similar issues as mine give this a try.  Takes about an hour depending on your PC speed, and Internet connection.  

Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Windows 8.1, Zone Crash

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users