Photo

pol.exe Entry Point Not Found (launching POL from Windower)

6 replies to this topic

#1 Warthog

Warthog

• Members
    • Pip
    • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

Hello all -- so a few facts about my setup, etc. Mocks are understood given my severely outdated system, etc. However, everything worked just fine until today (last successful login was this morning 4/27/17). I'm not sure what the fix is, and I greatly welcome and appreciate any feedback you have. 

Windows XP Home SP3

Dell Vostro 1500

When i open Windower 4, and proceeded to click to launch POL, the following error shows up: "The procedure entry point GetThreadId could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll". After clicking ok to the error prompt, POL opens and loads just regularly (without Windower). I've tried reinstalling Windower, but with no change.

I've read through a number of threads here and on Github, and several responses from Byrth and alphaONE2. Particularly this one: 

https://github.com/W...ues/issues/778.

I've never installed another version of POL or FFXI (EU etc), only US. The registry settings are also correct per this thread: 

http://forums.window...es-upon-launch/

Also tried updating Windower per the instructions in this thread, but still having the same issue: https://github.com/W...sues/issues/792

crash.log:

[ 4.3.6326.35073 ] 2017-04-27 23:37:34.9843750 UTC
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------
      System.TimeoutException: The operation has timed out.
         at Launcher.PlayOnlineLauncher.Launch(String hook, Profile profile, Boolean debug, TimeSpan timeout)
         at Launcher.Tasks.LaunchTask.Run()
         at Launcher.Tasks.Task.Run(Core core)
         at Launcher.Core.Run()
         at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean ignoreSyncCtx)
         at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
         at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

#2 Concepcion

Concepcion

• Members
      • Pip
      • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 02:38 AM

I have the exact same problem.  I am also using an ancient machine.

Windows XP SP3

Dell Inspiron E1405

I googled the error, "The procedure entry point GetThreadId could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll" and it seems related to function calls being used that don't exist in one's current OS. Like, Windower is doing something that Windows XP cannot do, only newer versions of Windows can.

I am hoping I can downgrade Windower for now, I'll let you know if I find any success.

#3 Concepcion

Concepcion

• Members
        • Pip
        • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:14 AM

I was able to log in tonight.

I did a System Restore to yesterday (4/26), that gave me the previous version of Windower (4.2). Then, I disconnected from the internet before launching Windower so that it would not auto-update. I connected to the internet again and was able to launch the game.

If there is some improvement to this method, please let me know.  Hopefully I won't have to do this forever.

#4 Saydn

Saydn

• Members
          • PipPip
          • 11 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 08:37 AM

Having the same problem, I tried Concepcion's method above and it worked for me :) Thanks!

I'd add to it that POL wouldn't launch until I connected to the internet again. So I had to launch windower, wait until it has tried to update and then given up, then it'd stay on the windower not doing much. Then reconnect to the internet and POL launched all working :) Incase that helps anyone else having the problem.

#5 Iryoku

Iryoku

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
            • 488 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

First, I want to remind you that Windower no longer officially supports Windows XP, and I really must urge you to switch to a newer OS.

Microsoft themselves ended standard support for Windows XP SP3 ~3 years ago. SE Hasn't officially supported Windows XP for over 4 years. Windower stopped officially supporting Windows XP around the same time. Only ~1.3% of our users still use Windows XP, and no one on the dev team has a PC with it, so we can't test it.

And, I will also tell you that Windower 5 will not, and cannot, work on Windows XP.

However, because this is a relatively simple fix, and the function was only used for debugging purposes, I've gone ahead and removed the call to GetThreadId. A build with the fix should be pushed out relatively soon.

#6 Godofgods

Godofgods

• Members
              • PipPip
              • 19 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 06:17 PM

i have the same issue on my XP comp today. Kinda glad it isnt just me like it usually is.

First, I want to remind you that Windower no longer officially supports Windows XP, and I really must urge you to switch to a newer OS.

Im all for a new comp with a new os. But on disability i cant afford much... or anything right now. But if anyone wants to give me one, then ill be glad to upgrade :D

#7 Warthog

Warthog

• Members
                • Pip
                • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 10:06 PM

Thanks for the response, Iryoku. I appreciate all of you who still work on making Windower great. 

I will look for the push in coming days. Any estimate on the release date for Windower 5?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users