Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 102 posts
    • LocationBastok (Chicago)

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hello,

I'm wondering two things if:

1. There is an add-on to assist Black Mages and others who magic blast and if not
    2. Would it be a valid Windower add-on?  (e.g. not violate any rules)

The specific requirements I see are:

1. Would identify on-screen any successful weaponskills, its "owner," attributes, and if it is a possible opening WS or is a closing WS.
    2. Ignore weaponskills that can't make a skillchain.
    3. Identify to the user when the magic blast window opens and via a timer bar, when it will close.
    4. Optionally:  Suggest to the user the element / spell best to use with the skillchain.
    5. Would NOT issue the spell for the user!  This add-on would only help the user see the skillchain and to identify possible spells to use and leave the rest to the player.

Why is this add-on needed?

1. It would help beginning Black Mages and others learn to magic blast.
    2. It would help ALL Black Mages and others with their TRUSTS!!
    3. It would help ALL Black Mages and others identify skillchains in large events, such as killing the RoV dragons, Wildskeeper Reives, Reives, etc.

As we know, if you depend upon seeing the animation you're already half way through the magic burst window and memorizing each animation for trust isn't easy nor should we expect it of our Black Mages / others.

Thank you.

IBHalliwell on Ragnarok (formerly of Caitsith)

#2 Kenshi

Kenshi

Advanced Member

• Members
    • PipPipPip
    • 334 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:11 PM

The problem with this is that most times you need to start the casting of the spell before the sc is completed so you can magic burst more than 1 time, you can't automatically know what magic burst is goin to be done until the sc is completed, which in most cases will be to late.

#3 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
      • PipPipPip
      • 102 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:52 AM

Kenshi, you are correct, BUT . . . Trusts and others will repeat themselves and this addon would help identify the various WS in an easier to see method.  Thus the player could anticipate and start the spell.  If they guess wrong, OK, but if not, cool!

Additionally, I was in a CP party where - honestly - I couldn't figure out the SC.  Why is a long story and not really germaine to the discussion.  What matters is I took my clue from another BLM, but with an addon showing me the WS, SC, etc, I'd be learning how to "fish" instead of having someone "fish" for me.

As I say one idea is to help new Black Mages and others.

#4 deadman80

deadman80

• Members
      • PipPip
      • 29 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 09:00 AM

Unfortunately, this idea doesn't sound helpful to me. Generally, there is too much WS spam going on in large-scale stuff to be able to hit a Magic Burst before the next WS breaks the window.  In party/alliance events, skillchain elements are normally decided beforehand (and you can always ask if you are unsure what to be bursting with.) Trust skillchain behavior is not 100% reliable or predictable, especially if there are multiple Trusts involved and they are the only ones performing WS...

What you are asking for wouldn't be doing much more than throwing up 20+ lines of spam whenever a WS goes off, which honestly doesn't sound very helpful to me.

If you are struggling with performing SC yourself or getting an idea about WS/SC elements, you might want to google "FFXI Calculator".  I use it all the time to figure out skillchains and it covers every possibility (incl. SCH, pets, trusts) except for Aeonic AM elements. ^^

Maybe a better idea would be an addon for a simple timer/bar for MB window duration?  Maybe a new default timer built-in to the Timers plugin could be added?

#5 Niam

Niam

• Members
        • Pip
        • 3 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

I have been using https://github.com/Ivaar/Skillchains which does pretty much what you're looking for.

Maybe a better idea would be an addon for a simple timer/bar for MB window duration?  Maybe a new default timer built-in to the Timers plugin could be added?

I really like this idea.

• IBHalliwell likes this

#6 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 102 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:31 PM

I have been using https://github.com/Ivaar/Skillchains which does pretty much what you're looking for.

I really like this idea.

First, I do and don't have an issue with doing MB correctly.  When I'm told at the beginning of a party what the front line plans, I'm on it!  YET, I've been in several parties recently where the melee don't announce and don't tell you in advance.  They leave the mages to our own devices and change up the WS/SC from time to time.  (Yeah, AFTER the party I give them an ear full and sometime the person listens and sometimes I've been blisted (because (s)he asked whom am I to question him/her, sigh)).   I'm thinking about all those future players working on nuking jobs (e.g. BLM, SCH, RDM, etc), but (I guess) this issue has been around since 2002.

Side note: I'm both glad and sad I'm at 2029 JP.  I love CP parties, as a nuker, when players know how to communicate and will miss them.  On the other hand, I won't miss some parties.  (Side, side note: I know DNC is out of favor, but DNC can do a great job self SC and I've gotten lots of JP from a buddy or two who are raising their DNC.  You might want to keep Dancers in mind.)

Second, after those three experiences I started realizing the same issue can / does occurs - in a different way - in large groups (e.g. wildskeeper, dragons, dynamis, etc) and with trusts.  YET, I DO SEE YOUR POINTS and agree with them.

Finally, I do hope someone will add a simple timer/bar MB duration and yeah the timer plugin sounds like a great place.

Thanks! :)

#7 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 102 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 03:58 PM

I really like this idea.

Ah, why isn't the Skillchains add-on part of the Windower 4 download, yet?!  So far its been very useful . . .  Have yet to use it in a CP party, though.

Thanks for pointing it out.

#8 sdahlka

sdahlka

Advanced Member

• Members
          • PipPipPip
          • 324 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 05:12 PM

Ah, why isn't the Skillchains add-on part of the Windower 4 download, yet?!  So far its been very useful . . .  Have yet to use it in a CP party, though.

Thanks for pointing it out.

because the creator did not submit it to the team for inclusion

#9 IBHalliwell

IBHalliwell

Advanced Member

• Members
            • PipPipPip
            • 102 posts

Posted 02 October 2016 - 06:52 PM

because the creator did not submit it to the team for inclusion

Wish (s)he would submit it for inclusion.

#10 sirdrake

sirdrake

• Members
            • Pip
            • 1 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:28 PM

How do we load an lua addon in game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users