Photo

Tips for a beginning programmer on how to directly read and write .DAT files in C++, specifically importing and exporting data for character models?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Rhianu

Rhianu

• Members
    • Pip
    • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:31 AM

I'm learning C++, and I thought it would be fun to create my own model viewer as a learning project. The problem is, although I feel I have a fairly decent grasp of most of the C++ fundamentals, I'm not really sure where to begin for creating a program that can directly read and write FFXI's .DAT files, and I was wondering if any of the more code savvy community members might be able to give me some tips as to how to start such a project. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. :)

#2 Arcon

Arcon

Advanced Member

• Windower Staff
      • 1189 posts
      • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:33 AM

This is something that even I, as a somewhat experienced programmer, wouldn't know how to do :D

Reading DAT files is easy, finding them, not so much (although it's easier if you know what to look for), displaying them is tricky. That does not only require C++ knowledge, but knowledge of a graphic library and possibly a GUI toolkit. You would need to translate FFXI's format into one the library can display (unless it's a format the library can read directly... which I don't know, but someone else could probably shed some light on it *looks at Iryoku*). Regardless, you will probably need a fairly decent grasp of 3D graphical programming to do anything more than display a static image. I don't know which library you'll end up using, but unless it provides a whole abstraction layer of the graphical fundamentals you might need to know things like geometric transformations in 3D space to do things like zoom, rotate, move, etc..

But don't let this discourage you, the reason I wouldn't know what to do with this is because I simply didn't work much in that particular area. You will need to read into it some, but maybe it's easier than my mind's making it sound. Again, Iryoku would probably know better.

In general though you could hang out on our IRC channel, it's probably the best and simplest way to get FFXI related help (especially programming help). We're on irc.ffochat.net, #windower.

• Rhianu likes this

#3 Rhianu

Rhianu

• Members
      • Pip
      • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:22 AM

In general though you could hang out on our IRC channel, it's probably the best and simplest way to get FFXI related help (especially programming help). We're on irc.ffochat.net, #windower.

Thanks, I'll be sure to check it out.

Also, I just did some google searching, and I found an old topic about FFXI on some game modding forum called "XeNTaX", which actually appears to have some good in-depth discussion about this exact issue:

XeNTaX: Game Research Forum » Topic: "Final Fantasy XI .DAT (PC)"

A lot of the stuff there goes way over my head, though. Anyone know enough to decipher some of the more technical aspects being discussed in that topic?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users